Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cards


I just spent the past hour looking at holiday cards online. Why? It is not because I have the time to waste. It is not because I am eager for the holidays to be here. It is because my boss assumed I would take on the classes he requested before waiting for an actual confirmation from me. He sent an email to the entire department indicating the same. Consequently, I feel I must take them no matter what else is going on in my life. I will look like a jackass if I do not. Although I previously considered taking on all of the classes, I actually convinced myself over the past few days that it might be okay to decline given all of the other things going on in my life. I am stressed.

With the addition of all of the classes the boss indicated, I'll have six classes. In. Addition. To. My. Regular. Life.

(Note: Three classes is considered full-time. It is the same for students and profs).

Granted, last week I faced the prospect of 8 classes and wisely turned two down (which, hi, I now realize was foolish - I should have taken those two and told my boss to suck it -- but in all my stupidity I did not out of loyalty -- damn Catholic schools. I blame my parents), but still... This means a lot of work people! I will only fill three of the classes for about six weeks or so. These six weeks, however, fall over the holidays.

In the course of my blinding panic throughout this afternoon, I did nothing. Instead of, ya know, writing the syllabi for classes (which start next week), cracking a text or two, or writing a lecture or several, I thought to myself instead, "Oh shit. If I have this many classes, I will not have time to do holiday cards this year and oh God, what about shopping for the kids?!? I'll barely sleep as it is since I'll have a whopping 10 hours between classes in which to sleep, have a life, work, etc. I have to send cards out! It is only proper!". For this, I blame my mother. I do not blame her for much, but for this I will....

So, as I sat there holding Nicholas and planning out the final details of this year's ALS BBQ, I also considered a schedule of holiday card writing and holiday shopping, which I've managed to convince myself should be done by Sunday. Yet, they can't because I have a job. And a life. And a Walk/BBQ.

Instead, I've decided to listen to my inner T. He says, "Don't worry about it. It is only life. The details don't matter". At the same time, however, I am fully-prepared to call on A, K, and A to tell them to get their butts to my house for some mad card-preparation.

However, just in case:

To those of you who may expect a card from me this year: I apologize in advance.

To my mother: I know. I am a disappointment. Perhaps K will make you proud.

Now that that is said, I'm going to go worry about something that actually matters.

3 comments:

Kimberly May said...

Don't worry girl, your cards will go out...you know I'll help you!
K

Anonymous said...

I hope that your boss realizes that he/she WILL be paying you for your class on top of full time pay for the three extras you fill in for. He owes you that much. keep you head up and your shoulders back and you will get through it. A wise man once said, "Things work out for good people." You are a good person. Things will work out however you decide to play your cards. Trust in yourself; your friends and family will help you stay standing.

Anonymous said...

BREATHE......I have worked all my life, done the Christmas shopping, you should never feel pressured to do Christmas cards. Personally, I went from doing around eighty cards to doing ONLY around ten a year. Slow down.....time to take care of SARA. We are always here to help you and support you with anything and everything.