Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Eighteen 2.0

Sprout,

You are officially 18 months old. My baby is no longer a baby, but a full-fledged toddler. In many ways, this is sad to me, as I know you're my last little one. In other respects, I adore watching you change each day as you grow, learn, and become more independent. With that, I'm excited for our future.

During the past few weeks, your Daddy and I have both noticed your increased independence. You are in to everything, mischievous, and determined to keep up with your big brother. You love to be outside, play with the 'big kid' toys, and go everywhere. You become easily frustrated when you're unable to master whatever task is before you, but, if not too upset, you ask (or rather demand) for help appropriately to overcome your challenges. In stark contrast to this overwhelming need for independence, there are other times when you just desperately want to be held. You seem to work your way in our bed most nights simply because you desire to cuddle. You cry out for company each morning around 3:30 -- almost like clockwork. We know it is a bad habit to let you in our bed. At the same time, I know our snuggle days are likely limited and -real honestly -- I'm exhausted and this option is simply easier at times.

While sometimes a bit difficult to understand, your vocabulary is rapidly increasing. I'm convinced if your brother would allow you the opportunity to speak more frequently, that you, too, would be quite the chat-ter. You love to sing -- especially in the car. You hum the ABCs and seem quite impressed that everyone seems to know the words to that ditty. You also frequently request to sing Bah Bah Black Sheep. Twinkle Twinkle is a favorite, too. You now regularly request that we read to you -- at bedtime, in the car, or pretty much any other time the idea occurs to you. Your favorite books include Little Blue Truck (which you call 'Beep Beep') and Brown Bear Brown Bear.

You give the best hugs right now -- much like your Daddy. You often grab my face with both hands, plant a kiss on my mouth while saying, "Muah" and then latch on to me like a koala bear while squeezing as tight as you can. I savor every one of them and hope that you'll hug me like that forever.

Bath time, riding in your police car, and playing with any type of ball are your favorite past times right now. You also think brushing your teeth is pretty swell, too. You understand that the nuk is only for bedtime now and place it back in your crib when prompted to do so. You're super helpful in that you announce when a new diaper is needed by saying, "Peeeeeeweeeey". It's actually pretty hilarious. I'm looking forward to potty-training time! You also help around the house a little bit, too. You place your dirty clothes in the laundry basket when you're done wearing them and attempt to sweep the floors on occasion, too. You're an awesome companion to the grocery store and think that going out to get Mama a coffee is a fun treat. You clearly articulate when you're hungry (which is almost always, by the way) and you tell us when you need to sleep (Mama! Night-night!).

While you are a lot of work, my sweet boy, you are SO much fun, too. Every day, you laugh from your belly and make me smile. You challenge me with your stubbornness and make me melt with your affection. Daddy and I love you so much and are so proud to call you our boy.

Love,
Mama

No comments: