This week marked your twentieth month in our lives. It seems like you’ve been around forever. While I know that I existed long before you entered this world, I simply cannot recall life without you – nor do I want to.
It seems that a blog post could not possibly capture all that has changed in the past few weeks. You’re finally feeling better from your bout of pneumonia and are settling back into your routine. Your language skills have exploded. You remember everything. You’re synthesizing that which you talk about at school and read about in books with the real world. It is incredible to watch, yet a little intimidating, too. Daddy and I are keenly aware of what a huge influence we are on you right now. We want to provide you with opportunities to explore, have fun, and learn. It feels like a big responsibility at times.
It is safe to say that one of your newest most prominent obsessions right now is trucks and equipment. You think tractors are cool. You like school buses. You think the garbage man is THE best. In fact, yesterday you started yelling, “Mama. Garbage man! Garbage Man!” from your room, as you were aware that it was morning time and that it was garbage day. While you were a bit early in your proclamation, we did make ourselves available to the window when the garbage man finally arrived to pick-up our refuge at 6:45 a.m. You were quite delighted. I was less pleased this morning when you once again demanded the garbage man come to our house. It was only 3:00 a.m. It took a couple of hours to convince you he would not come today, as he had to attend to other neighborhoods.
You also have a newly-expressed passion for ‘cooking’. N & G bought you a set of pots and pans for Christmas. You like to set them out on the fireplace and cook. Typically, you make ‘rice’, ‘googles’ (noodles) or ‘hot chocolate’. You also like to stand in your tower and assist me in whatever I am preparing. It is actually a lot of fun (albeit a mess).
You are starting to understand that you’re to be a big brother soon. Some days, you like the idea. On others, you tell me, “No, Mama”. You often tell the baby to stop kicking me, frequently greet him, but insist that you will never share your books with him. I’m hoping that you’ll love him when he’s here. You’ll be such a good brother.
You also like to talk on the phone. Sometimes, you’ll wake up in the middle of the night and ask to call Daddy. At times, we do. Your other favorite people to call are K and N. You sure wish I would locate the phone number for Santa, too.
Outside of your expedient development, we have a lot going on, it seems. I’m working to complete several studies before your brother is born. I have several writing projects in the works as well. Further, I am teaching a number of classes. Daddy works a lot, keeps the house and cars in tip-top shape, and tries to help our neighbors as much as possible. Unfortunately, our neighbor R’s wife recently died. Thus, we’re trying to be extra supportive of him. All you know is that “R is sad”.
We have yet to make a nursery for your little brother. I’m not sure that we will do so before his arrival. We know that he’ll stay in our room for the first few months anyways. I’m pre-occupied with our current house’s set-up. I’m convinced your Daddy will never sleep if we’re upstairs and refuse to make you and your brother be silent. Thus, much to your Daddy’s horror, I met with a real estate agent and a mortgage broker last week. Next week, I have contractors coming out to look at our property. I’m exploring our options, as I want to ensure that we have the best set-up available to promote our family’s harmony without compromising our finances too much. Your Daddy is humoring me in this process. You’re relatively unaware of it.
My goal for the next few months is to absolutely savor every moment with you. Soon, you will not be my only baby. I can’t fathom loving another baby as much as I love you, but know that I will. I worry that I will not give you enough attention. I am concerned that I cannot possibly be the Mama you deserve. I’m hoping that you, Daddy, and I can grow together as we welcome another member to our family. I am SO thankful that we are in this position in life right now.
Life is good, little man.
Go Seahawks!
Love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment