Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Thrive

Every year I pick a theme for the year. I try to pick a theme that will nourish my soul -- one that will hope me focus, remember my goals, and make the best of my life.

Last year, I focused on honoring where I was at - either in terms of big accomplishments, daily events, or unexpected hurdles. For the most part, I honored my theme: I met myself and my family where we were at. I did less, was present more, and feel like I truly dedicated myself to exactly that which needed my attention at the time. The year 2013, while challenging at times, was amazing. I finally obtained a position I've pursued for years. My son continued to be healthy and amazed his father an I on a daily basis. I finally earned what I hope will be my final degree. We expanded our real estate portfolio, enjoyed time with our family, and made time for some personal growth. I found out that I will become a mother for a second time this coming Spring.

With so many wonderful things happening, it is easy to sometimes get caught up in the chaos of it all. Further, with a toddler in tow, the pursuit towards tenure, and an active pregnancy, sometimes life becomes about just making it through the day - it becomes about survival. I wish more than survival for myself though. It is with this in mind that I picked my 2014 theme: Thrive.

In 2014, I will make it through each day. I will enjoy each day too. Our little family will expand with joy as we welcome a new member. We will pursue time with friends and extended family. We will savor daily happenings and big events. At work, I will continue to be successful, work towards tenure, and pursue new opportunities. I will succeed in my research and in shaping students' academic experiences. My sons, husband and I will continue to make a point of spending time together, maintaining our health, and seeking adventure. We will work to build happiness, form memories, and improve the world.

In short, we will THRIVE.

No comments: