Tadpole,
As with most things in life these days, I'm tardy with this post. I could blame it on pregnancy. I could blame it on the fact that you and I were sick for a few weeks. I could also blame it on the fact that we're just so busy. In reality, my lateness is likely due to a combination of things.
This month, as always, was a busy one. You are no longer a baby, but a full-fledged toddler. You are constantly on the move. You are in to EVERYTHING. You want our attention and you want it now. There is no downtime -- ever.
Daddy and I are both so enamored by how much you've grown over the past several weeks. Not only do you look differently physically, but your cognitive development is notable too. You recently discovered puzzles and adore completing them. We're likely to go broke if we continue to buy them as fast as we are. You are now working on mastering your ABCs -- both in reciting them and recognizing them. It is pretty impressive how well you seem to know them, especially given your young age. You are learning to count, too. You have 1-10 down pretty well, but often forget 4 or 8. You continue to adore school and are also referred to by Ms. S as her 'little weatherman'. Each day at circle time, you typically take the lead in letting everyone know if it is sunny, rainy, or cloudy. This week, your class will start learning about the body. I can only imagine what you will be telling me soon! Did I mentioned that you talk constantly? Not just a word or two, either, you talk in full-blown sentences and have a LOT to say.
In general, I happen to think that you are incredibly intelligent. You have a natural curiosity that motivates you to try to understand your environment. Sometimes your motor skills are not as refined as your intellectual skills, which leads to frustration. Another point of confusion for you is your lack of knowledge regarding pop culture. You do not watch cartoons or have a lot of popular character toys. Thus, when people ask you about 'Mickey Mouse' or 'Thomas the Tank Engine', you are confused. I feel kind of bad for depriving you of these items, but know that there is plenty of time for more commercialized toys when you're older. Right now, I kind of adore that you love to build with legos, think cooking imaginary food is fun, and that a broom can keep you occupied for almost a half-hour. The other day you and I stayed at school for a bit longer than usual so you could play outside with your friends. One of the teachers from a different classroom brought out a bubble machine. Your sheer delight in response to the bubbles bopping around the playground brought joy to me. It is the simple things, I tell ya!
Your love for the garbage man persists, but you're a little less enthusiastic about him now that he picked up all of your NUKs (pacifiers). For whatever reason, I got it in my head that you should be done with them before your brother's arrival. Thus, you and I packed them up in a big bag and put them out to be collected. The next day, you waived to the garbage man as he took the NUKs away and only became upset later that night when you were faced with the reality that he would not deliver them back. You do, however, still enjoy looking for garbage trucks whenever we're out and about. You also look for tractors and school buses quite regularly, too.
Your memory is freakishly accurate and long-lasting. Your appetite appears to be never-ending. Your laughter remains infectious and your spirit is amazing. You continue to enjoy reading and ask to do so quite regularly. You love to sing, too. You no longer have just one or two favorites, but enjoy your entire library now. Lately, you've been quite social as well. You have spent a few afternoons with N & G, had dinner with K's boyfriend, N, and enjoyed an afternoon with Daddy's friend, M. You also had fun spending time with Aunt K when she was in town, and have been lucky enough to spend time playing at A's house twice this month!
Daddy and I are both increasingly aware of the fact that we are about to transition from a family of 3 to one of four. Neither of us feels particularly prepared and are both a bit anxious. We have a lot to prepare in terms of our jobs and organizing our home. The other day, I asked you where the baby should sleep. You suggested, "Outside". When I suggested that the baby come inside so that he can eat, read and play with us, you scrunched your nose. You do not seem to be a fan of this whole baby plan. The good news, however, is that you were excited when I showed you the new baby's car seat and a few other of his items. Now you go around labeling what is his and what is yours.
While Daddy and I are excited for your little brother to join our family, there is a part of us that feels guilt for knowing that we're about to take some of our time and energy away from you. We are hopeful that you will adjust well and that you will love the baby as much as we do. At the end of the day though -- while you may be about to become a big brother, you will always be our baby.
We love you.
Love,
Mama
1 comment:
:)
Had I read this earlier today I would have sent you puzzles with the package coming your way. Will just have to deliver some in person!
Post a Comment