Tadpole,
This week, you turned nineteen months old. Wow!
The past few weeks have been challenging ones. Most notably, the whole family is sick right now and has been for a few weeks. You actually had pneumonia. While you were playing in the morning a couple of weekends ago, you acted lethargic by the afternoon. This odd behavior prompted Daddy and I to take you to the walk-in clinic. There, we found that your oxygen level was down and that you struggled to breathe. Some steroids and an nebulizer treatment stabilized you well though, which we were thankful for as it brought you comfort and allowed us to avoid admission to the hospital, which was the next step. Due to your illness, we laid low for Christmas. We were sad to miss our traditional family gatherings and instead stayed home - mostly in bed. Our family checked on you regularly and sent you lovely Christmas gifts. Aunt B got you a paint easel that you adore (although you play 'barista' with it at this point by using the paint cups as hot chocolate mugs), Aunt T got you an amazing musical set, Grandma C got you a vacuum that you adore, and numerous others in the family got you additional treasures that we continue to introduce to you each day. To say that you are loved (and spoiled) seems to be an understatement. Aunt K even stayed with us so she could see you -- despite the germs in our house! Unfortunately, just as you started to feel better, both Daddy and I got sick. I have a nasty case of bronchitis and you and I now have matching inhalers. I'm unsure what is wrong with Daddy, as he refuses to go to the doctor. He is so silly! You returned to school yesterday and seemed to be doing well. Unfortunately, you started gasping for air in your sleep last night, which prompted another late night run to Children's. By the time we were there, however, you seemed to be in perfect shape. I'm starting to wonder if you have a crush on one of the nurses there or something and just want to go there to visit.
Despite having a few rough patches throughout the month, there have been a number of highlights, too. First, you learned to say, 'I love you', which might be the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. You say the phrase appropriately and with such genuineness that one cannot help but melt when it comes out of your mouth. Daddy even changed his ringtone to your voice so he could hear you say it even more frequently.
A few weeks ago, I took you to see Santa. I assumed that you would be a bit afraid of him, as you're a little leery of strangers at this point. You and I talked about it though and you said you would like to go meet Santa, as you heard about him at school. I presumed once we got to the mall, you would likely get upset and we would have to leave. Alas, quite the opposite occurred. We actually arrived before Santa's workshop opened for the day. We patiently sat on a bench outside when we heard the sound of jingle bells and 'Ho, Ho, Ho' upstairs. You learned at school that Santa says these words and drives a sleigh. Thus, you knew he was on his way. Then, as Santa got on the escalator to come down to his workshop, the two of you locked eyes and began to chat. You gave him five and instantly loved him. When you eventually made it to Santa's lap for your official picture, he pulled you close for a hug. You did not like the feeling of his beard and pulled away, which led to an awkward picture. While not captured perfectly on photo, I can honestly say that watching you meet Santa this year was nothing short of magical. It is a memory I hope I am able to treasure forever. Incidentally, we went to the same mall yesterday and Santa was not in his workshop due to the fact that Christmas is now over. You're quite concerned on where he oculd be and ask me, "Where'd he go?" pretty regularly. You don't quite understand the concept of the North Pole, Mrs. Claus, or the elves.
Another pretty cool moment that occurred this month is that Grandma met us at the local 'village' to see you get a haircut. She was SO excited. She even brought her camera. You sat in a train as the lady cut your hair. Grandma seemed most impressed by your behavior. I reminded her that this was about your 12th cut. Afterwards, we wandered around the village a bit more, looking a local shops, visiting with the ducks, and watching the roosters. You seemed to have a wonderful afternoon.
Of course, the month consisted of many other highlights, too. You continue to learn at an extraordinary pace. You clearly want to know your ABCs, but struggle to keep them all straight. You engage in much more imaginative play than you did even a month ago. You sing numerous songs, are always excited to read new books, and have taken quite the fondness towards building things out of legos. You're into everything and are simply exhausting. With that said, you remain the most amazing thing to ever bless our life. Daddy and I absolutely adore you and look forward to another wonderful New Year with you.
Love,
Mama
1 comment:
Love ;)
Post a Comment