Friday, December 20, 2013

Eastside

While I will not get into a debate with readers regarding the legalization of gay marriage, I can tell you this: I am proud of Eastside Catholic students for standing up for their beliefs.

As a college instructor, I witness many students whine and complain about that which they are unhappy. Most of their complaints seem unfounded and superficial in nature. Further, most of the same students want to do very little to change their situations beyond complain. This is not the case with the Eastside student body.

What I admire about Eastside students is that they are deliberate regarding their actions. They are united for a cause that is not only relevant, but defining to their generation. The actions that Eastside administration took (under the direction of the Archdiocese) seem contrary to the recent points made by the newest Pope. Eastside students have called attention to this disparity. They organized, utilized social media effectively, engaged the local and national media, and have started online petitions in support of their faculty, amongst other things. Their approach seems logical and mature. The students want answers. They want change within their school, in the context of their church, and in society in general.

As an alumni of a Catholic high school, I am aware of the bureaucracy that often occurs in the walls of such institutions. I am also aware of the curriculum's emphasis on social justice. From my perspective, this is an opportunity for Eastside administration to show students how the teachings they endorse align with their actions as an institution via an open dialogue or otherwise.

It is clear that the current generation at Eastside is not in agreement with the church's dated social policies (neither is the Pope though). It is also clear that they are not willing to witness the implementation of such policies given the current social climate.

Eastside is in a precarious position: The administration must reconsider governing politics and historical dogma or risk alienating a generation of potential followers. Both choices carry great financial, membership, and social implications for the school and the church at large.

I hope they make the correct decision.

No comments: