Tadpole,
Earlier this week you turned eighteen months old. That is right -- that is one and half years old!! While I likely should have sat down to write this before, I simply have not had time. We've been too busy.
This month was an exciting one for our family. First, we found out that 'Sprout', your little sibling, will be a boy. It is funny though -- if I ask you if we are having a baby, you say 'yes'. If I ask you if the baby is a boy or a girl, you indicate it is a girl. In fact, you insist the baby is a girl and you would like to name her 'Butterfly'- thank you very much. You do not want to hear anything about having a boy. I suspect you will not be too disappointed when he is here though. I think you two will be best of friends.
Another big event that occurred this month is that I finished my degree. Daddy and I took you to Portland where you hung out with Aunt K while we preceded south and I defended my dissertation (quite successfully, I might add). Daddy was a huge support to me, as always, and Aunt K was a lot of help in taking care of you, as I did not worry about you one bit while I was gone. In fact, you two had a blast! You went to the zoo, dined on a sophisticated lunch in Northwest Portland, and then had a slumber party in K's living room. It was a good day for all of us. While I doubt you will remember the time I spent working on this particular degree, you and your brother actually helped me complete it. There was a time when you were brand new that my health was so poor that I did not think I could finish, but my stubborn streak and the support of others got my health back on track and helped me re-focus. There is this page in one's dissertation called the 'Acknowledgements' page. It is here that a person writes down all of the people that helped him or her complete the writing process. While my acknowledgement page was more extensive than you would probably like to read, one part did apply to you. It said,
My family, of course, also deserves my gratitude. I appreciate that my parents, S and E, emphasized the importance of education. Likewise, I am also thankful to them for instilling in me a strong work ethic. I am also thankful to my sister, K, for being one of my biggest cheerleaders in life. I appreciate my son, J, for sleeping consistently as to allow me the time to write and for adding a dose of fun and wonder to my life. Similarly, I am thankful to his sibling, whom we affectionately call ‘Sprout’, for giving me the motivation to finish this project before his or her birth next spring. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I am thankful to my husband, J. His patience, understanding, and unwavering support were integral in giving me the bravery to pursue a PhD and in most other adventures we experience in life.
This month has also been a time of incredible growth for you as well. Daddy and I are in awe each day as we discover new words and concepts that you've learned from us, at school, through your interactions with others in our community, and via the books we read to you. Your more recent interests include dinosaurs and tractors. You also like buses and trucks quite a bit, too. You learned all about Thanksgiving this month and like to remind me that turkeys say, 'Gobble, gobble.'. You also discovered pumpkin pie (which you affectionately call 'p-pie') and would likely eat it constantly if we would allow it. Luckily, we do not keep such treats in the house.
As always, you love to sing and read. The newest song that you like is 'If your ears hang low'. I have no idea where you learned it, but you ask for it regularly. While you love a wide variety of books at this time, 'Dinosaur Roar', 'Chicka Chicka Boom Boom' and 'The Night You Were Born' seem to be in heavy rotation. When not singing or reading, you love to go for walks, to drive your car, and to play with legos. You now ask for specific people and to go to particular places. If you had your way, we would always be on the move. You and I often go to the local shopping village while Daddy sleeps so that you can visit the ducks and roosters. Last week, I even took you on the little train there. I suspect we'll visit that train a lot in the coming months.
Now that you've mastered walking well, you love to play with others. At Thanksgiving, you and your cousin, A, played with trains, and you and your cousin, N, chased each other around the house. You had SO much fun!! I can tell that you're going to love growing up with them and am so excited for you to do so.
I've been working with you regarding your manners. Specifically, I've taught you to say please and thank you. I'm so proud when you do so unprompted. Daddy and I both think it is important for you to be polite and want it to be second nature to you. We also hope that you will be a saver. With that, I take you to the bank often so that you may deposit the crisp dollar bills that PopPop bestows upon you every once in awhile. The tellers at the bank love you and greet you by name. I think they are shocked that you stand in line independently, nevermind that you have your own savings account.
If I could change anything about you, it would be your resistance to having your teeth brushed. I do not know what it is about the experience, but you just throw a fit for both me and Daddy when we try. Brushing your teeth at this point is like wrestling a bear. You just hate it. You have a dentist appointment in a couple of weeks. I'm praying that it goes well enough. Despite this one itsy bitsy challenge, most of our time with you is absolutely magical. You recently started asking us for hugs and say, 'I love you'. You even attempt the hand sign for it, too.
We love you too, buddy. We always have and we always will.
Love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment