
In addition to school and work, I've found myself becoming aware of/involved in some interesting online communities. As a consequence of the same, I became aware of Reverb10, a movement designed to induce reflection on the year. Each day, a prompt is posted. The prompt is designed to make you consider your life over the previous 365 days. reverb10 last through December. Here are my answers (straight from the hip, no editing or extensive thought here) for the prompts thus far:
December 15 – 5 Minutes Imagine you will completely lose your memory of 2010 in five minutes. Set an alarm for five minutes and capture the things you most want to remember about 2010.
I want to remember the connections I’ve made with the people in my life.
December 14 – Appreciate What’s the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it?
I’ve come to realize that I am very lucky in my position in this world and am appreciate this circumstance. I realize that I have an abundance of opportunities to be pursued.
December 13 – Action When it comes to aspirations, it’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step?
Believing in the ideas and throwing stuff out into the universe. Also, making connections.
December 12 – Body Integration: This year, when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn’t mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present?
Refer to December 3
December 11 – 11 Things: What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life?
1. Toxic People
2. Clutter
3. Debt
4. Grief
5. Stress
6. **to be continued.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
As of now, my plan to eliminate these items is to be purposeful and flexible in 2011.
December 10 – Wisdom:. What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out?
My wisest decisions have always been to trust my gut. I decided to trust that I’d get into school. Success. I decided to be an authentic teacher. Success. I decided to ask for what I need. Success. I’ve decided to seek like-minded people in my life. Inspired.
December 9 – Party Prompt: Party. What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans.
I can’t think of a single party that ‘rocked my socks off’ in 2010. With that said, I engaged in a number of lovely cocktail hours with friends. Also, my cousins had lovely weddings.
December 8 – Beautifully Different. Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful.
I think my ability to be concurrently silly and firm makes me beautifully different.
December 7 – Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?
I’ve established myself more firmly in a few communities. I am a part of new cohort. I am closer to my colleagues at the college. I have also made a number of friends on line via twitter, etc. It is interesting to me what wonderful opportunities networking may bring. I’d like to continue to cultivate my professional relationships in 2011.
December 6 – Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?
I can’t recall. I either made gingerbread cookies last or constructed a paper. One required baking supplies while the other required texts and my computer. I desperately want to create. As tacky as it may sound, I feel a collage in my future.
December 5 – Let Go. What (or whom) did you let go of this year? Why?
I’ve slowly let go of the feeling of needing to say ‘yes’ to everyone. I’m feeling more comfortable in my own perspective and taking care of my own needs. I’ve done this because I see that I am worthy. I also finally realize that others don’t mind if I feel the need to take care of myself. In fact, most of us would be better off if we’d do this.
December 4 – Wonder. How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year?
Ugh. This is one that I have not done to the degree I desire. I’ve started a new path: one to authenticity. With that, I’ve started the very first steps in figuring out what this concepts means for me. I see quite the hike before me along this path though.
With that said, I did return to school. While the courses I take are not necessarily of my choosing, I do see myself thinking more critically once again and looking at the world through a different lens.
December 3 – Moment. Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it.
I went to the beach by myself. I read, I sat in the sun. I took in the smell of the salt in the air coming off from the water. I ate huge salads and walked in the sand. I answered to no one.
December 2 – Writing. What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?
One thing that I do each day that I can eliminate is fretting over the small stuff. I will never be perfect, nor will my house be. Others can deal with it, or not.
December 1 – One Word. Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you? (Author: Gwen Bell)
2010: Chaotic: This was a year of professional growth and change. I worked harder than ever. I returned to school as well. Our family dealt with a great deal of sickness, death, and financial changes.
For 2011: I seek purposefulness.
No comments:
Post a Comment