Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Version

The other day I met a colleague for drinks per her request. I thought it was meant to be a cool opportunity to hang out and catch up on our daily happenings. It turned into a bitch session. She is burned out and I get it. I totally adore her for sharing her thoughts with me.

One of the issues that seemed to bother her is her recent experience with entitled students. She is sick of her students thinking that their mere attendance to class entitles them to an A in the course. I get her frustrations. I've had a little too much experience with similar students. These students are draining. They're not around to learn, but to get the piece of paper. Newsflash, folks: A monkey can get the paper. If there is nothing behind the paper, you FAIL.

In the context of our discussion, my colleague went on to say that it is her belief that "kids today" are entitled because they always receive something for their efforts (or lack thereof). For example: These days, everyone gets a trophy for playing on a school soccer team whether they excel at the sport or not. Similarly, everyone in the class gets typically gets invited to a birthday party so no one feels left out, etc. Interestingly enough, this observation was also made in a book I read last week, by Bill Gates Sr. This book, which lacks in many areas, still maintains some really messages. It discusses the need to be active, to be invested in one's self, the important role of family traditions, etc.

My peer suggested that by allowing children the same rewards throughout childhood, we never make them work. Children, she said, do not have to put in efforts to improve, to strive for more. The conversation quickly shifted to discussion regarding three specific students we had in common last year. The first student was incredible in all areas. She did the work assigned, she completed extra research, she thought critically about the materials presented, and mastered course concepts. The second student, a woman with all of the resources in the world, attended classes most of the time, consistently failed tests, typically submitted incomplete homework, and spent a lof of time planning parties and plotting how to win the affection of a particular boy. The third student is a woman that pulled herself out of the depths of her own personal hell. Although she attended class consistently and put forth a ton of effort, she often failed tests and typically did a mediocre job on her assignments. Out of these three, my colleague and I both agreed that the ideal student would be number three. Although the first student reflects well on a program and even an individual professor, she does not particularly need us. The third student, however, works diligently, wants to learn, and craves guidance. The quality that students one and three have in common is that they are both the best versions of themselves. Number 2 simply does not care. Although number three will never likely be a straight A student like number 1, nor will she likely become the next President of the United States, there is no question that she gives 110%. She is invested. She has heart. She is doing her best.

My colleague concluded that the problem with most students today is that they do not work to be the best version of themselves. Many of them simply do not work actively to fill their full potential. In many ways, I think she is correct. This, of course, led me to the following question: Am I the best version of myself? Further, what does that person look like?

The truth is: I do not know the answer to either of those questions. You can bet I'll be thinking about it from now on though.

No comments: