Correspondence is not my strong point. In fact, unless a person happens to contact me via email, he or she should not expect a response. It is not that I do not intend to respond, it is that I forget. I get busy. Responding simply slips my mind.
It is for this reason that I failed to check my mailbox at one of the colleges at which I teach thus far this quarter. Shame on me - we are three weeks into the session.
Today, however, I finally remembered.
My box contained a lot of fliers regarding campus activities, some notices from publishers, and an academic calendar. It also included two pieces of mail that looked important. One was from my department. It requested I check to make sure all of my students met the pre-requisites for my course. The other was from off-campus. It was postmarked for September 12th - before the official start of the quarter. It was mailed in the same city as the college, but had no return address.It was meant for me as it listed:
Professor [my name]
Psychology Department
[my college]
[college's address]
Inside the envelope, there were two pieces of paper, which just happen to make up this article regarding the Japanese Internment - a topic I do not recall ever discussing in any of the courses I have taught. Two lines in the article were highlighted. They were:
- "The camps were set up when most evacuees either couldn't or wouldn't move east on their own.
and
- Some 4,300 left the camps to attend college
Please explain to me, dear reader, why this was sent to me. Did I somehow insult someone? Am I missing the point of the article? Is this simply from a past patient whom is disorganized?
WTF?
1 comment:
I agree - wtf? I will ponder this more, read the article carefully, and have a brilliant answer after a few glasses of wine . . .
Post a Comment