Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Forgotten


My girl A lives in the middle of the country somewhere -- out in suburbia where people make a point to say hello to each other and make apple pies. She and I have not seen each other in quite some time, but I think of her often. In many ways, I think I have changed since I last saw her. My priorities are different. My goals altered. My frame-of-mind a bit skewed. Life took course. Experiences left impressions. Despite the divide between the person I was and the person I am, my thought patterns remain about the same. The same things upset me. The same items make me laugh. I beat myself up regarding the same things I once did and wish for similar things too. A knows about many of these things and -more significantly- is familiar with my way of thinking. Although she and I may not agree on everything, there is some predictive value in our friendship. It was of no surprise to me then yesterday when I received an email from her after several months of few words beyond our respective blogs. Her message said,

I'm thinking of you today for reasons you know. I am thankful you are alive! I am full of sorrow for your loss. I haven't forgotten...nor will I ever. I am praying for you continually that the joys of your heart will be fulfilled.


Her words were thoughtful. Her timing was accurate. Her sentiment was genuine. I appreciated that she was able to be transcend the distance between us and to get inside my head. I feel badly for getting stuck in my thoughts sometimes and certainly do my best not to remain there too long. It was nice to have someone remember me and know me well enough to know I'd likely retreat to the crevasses of my mind, despite how ridiculous the same may be.

Thank you, A, for thinking of me. I am okay. To be honest, I am not sure that I experience loss or sorrow at this point - just contemplation. It is true that life would be different, but my life now is good too. I too am thankful I am alive. I have plenty more to do.

:)

No comments: