
An open letter to my statistics professor:
Dr. D,
Thank you for being a good teacher. Thank you for being patient with me and for making me truly understand statistics rather than simply learning enough to get by. I appreciate your efforts and benefit from them today.
The first time I took a class taught by you, it was required. The second time was due to the fact that I liked you as a person and felt that you worked as hard as I. I felt that I my presence in your class served to actually allow me the opportunity to use my brain rather than simply serving to keep a seat warm, as I did in other courses. The third time I took a class taught by you, it was due to my friends (and my continued admiration for you). The fact is that I never thought the information you taught would affect me. I never thought I would put it to use, as I have no interest in research and prefer clinical work. I just figured your courses were a good way to challenge myself and to gain a few credits.
The truth is that I typically do not use the information we reviewed in our classes (outside of broader life lessons). Yet, this week I had to and I could. As I stared at a set of data before me, I knew I had to manipulate it in such a manner that it could serve my needs. With my basic knowledge of a few formulas as well as my familiarity of SPSS, I was able to do the same. Due to this set of circumstances, I may very well have helped to secure my company a significant chunk of change.
As an educator myself, I know that a lot of work and a great deal of effort goes into the teaching process. I just wanted you to know that your work does not go unnoticed nor is ever a waste.
The next time a student complains that he or she will never utilize class materials; please insist that he or she is incorrect. Please continue to challenge your students to master the materials, or at very least to conquer the “purple pen”.
Hope you’re doing well.
Gratefully,
S
No comments:
Post a Comment