There is a band – I don’t know which band—my brain hurts too much right now to think of it – (was it Radiohead?)-- that recently released an album via the internet. It is not available in stores. Therefore, the only way fans may obtain the music (legally at least) is by purchasing it from the band’s website. The minimum amount of money a person may pay for the album is 90 cents. A more generous person may decide to pay more. There is no cap on how much a person may decide to pay.
I know of this album, not because it particularly interests me, but because two local radio personalities talked about the online release incessantly the other day as I commuted home. They commented that they felt the band is foolish for releasing their music in this manner. Afterall, although the occasional schmuck may feel the desire to pay the standard $15 for the entire album, the average guy will pay the minimum required – the ninety cents. We are in America for crying out loud – and as unfortunate as it is, most people here make it their practice here to do the minimum.
The DJs spoke of the foolish decision made by the band. They talked about wasted efforts and financial losses. Their conversation, overall, was quite boring and a little stupid I might add. I felt the desire to call in and point out their flawed reasoning. Are the DJs foolish enough to think that the band actually sees more than about 90 cents of the fifteen dollar album? Um…hello…store profit? Transportation of the goods? Packaging? Advertisement? Record companies? Duh…
I think the band is making a good move. I suspect that they will see more profit than ever before. I applaud their ingenuity. I also applaud the fact that they are not producing more products and packaging that will eventually end in up in our landfills. Yea for progressing!!
I suppose, in many respects, this idea is not particularly original, as the music world has literally turned upside down since the invention of iTunes!, etc. With that said, it is cool to see a band do this on its own.
The DJs are stupid.
1 comment:
It is Radiohead. I went to their site and purchased it after reading your blog. I've been a big Radiohead fan for a while, but have been recently disenchanted since OK Computer. I have always admired them for forward thinking. By the way, the albums pretty good from what I have listened to so far.
Post a Comment