Monday, October 15, 2007

Nelson


One of my favorite books when I was little was Ms. Nelson is Missing. My second grade teacher would read it to us during rainy day recesses or at other times when she just needed to fill a few minutes. It was recreational reading time and did not serve any 'educational' purpose. I remember that my teacher would change her voice at times and that I found her very entertaining. In high school, I had the opportunity to take some kids from my community to see the play reflecting the book. It was not how I imagined it in my mind, but I still enjoyed the experience.

For those of you unfamiliar with the story, here is a brief summary: Ms. Nelson is an incredible teacher with a horrible class. Her students are constantly disrespectful to her. They do not listen and make her job miserable. One day, Ms. Nelson does not arrive at school. The children in her class rejoice thinking they drove her away. Then, their substitute, Ms. Viola Swamp, takes over the class. She is older, ugly, and wears all black. She shows no interest in the students, is very strict, and assigns very large amounts of homework. Eventually, all of Ms. Nelson's students come to realize how good class was under her direction and grow to miss her. After a few days, the students detest their substitute and are very concerned about their teacher. The students engage in an investigation to locate their teacher. I will not give away the conclusion of the story, but will tell you that Ms. Nelson does eventually return to her class. Needless to stay, her students are well-behaved from that point on.

Throughout my elementary, junior high, and high school years, I would recall the tale of Ms. Nelson each time we had a substitute. Would the fill-in be mean like Ms. Swamp? Did we scare away our regular teacher with our poor behavior? With the story in my mind (as silly as that my be), I would do my best to behave. I would listen attentively, participate in class, and do my best to stay off of the substitute's radar.

This week the Department Chair at the local college is out of town. He is my boss. His father is ill in a different state and he went to be with him. The secretary of the department called and requested that I fill in for him. I do not have classes the nights he does so, technically, I can -- and I will.

I will be the substitute teacher. I will be the replacement. The students will not know what to expect from me nor will I know what to expect from them. I will attempt to do my boss's class justice and convey information effectively while still being entertaining, etc. I hope that the class is familiar with the story of Ms. Nelson and are nice to me. I hope that they do not think of me as another Viola Swamp.

I hope it goes well. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck tonight! Or should I say, brak a leg . . ?

Anonymous said...

oops - break . . . :)