Saturday, June 09, 2007

Kevorkian



A couple of weeks ago, Jack Kevorkian, also known as “Dr. Death”, was released from prison. Dr. Kevorkian was sent to prison in 1999, following his conviction for participating in the assisted suicide of Mr. Thomas Youk. Mr. Youk was one of over 130 individuals to have ended their lives under Dr. Kevorkian’s direction.

As a person who makes a living evaluating the mental health of others, I spend a great amount of my time working on harm reduction, suicide prevention, and crisis intervention. As I see things, it is my professional responsibility to intercede when I assess that an individual may hurt him or her self. As a matter of fact, as horrible as this may sound, I often think of crisis situations in terms of liability. I think to myself, “If I do not interfere and have this person detained and he or she hurts him/herself, will I be able to justify/defend my action (or lack thereof) in a court or to his or her family? Will I be able to sleep at night knowing that I did not do more?

In general, I personally feel that suicide is a selfish act. I do not think that those whom take their lives really consider the mess of which they leave their loved ones. In most cases, I think suicidal gestures are a call for help. I think, sometimes, people just need to feel like someone else cares. I think they need support and guidance regarding how to cope with the stress in their lives.

I only work with those whom have mental health diagnoses. Those I see tend to battle with depression, mania, hallucinations, and delusions. Many of them live in their own worlds and are unaware of that which surrounds them. They require support and redirection. For the most part, they are too ill to even consider taking their own lives or are too afraid to do the same. Few of these people suffer from physical illnesses that torture their bodies. If they do, they are preoccupied with mental health issues and do not have the ability to limit their focus on such ailments. With this in mind, my experience with suicidal individuals is surprisingly limited.

Many called Dr. Kevorkian a murderer after learning of his actions. People stated that his actions are contrary to the Hippocratic Oath and suggested that he may be a sociopath. I am not prepared to apply any of those labels to him. I am not sure they are adequately justified. My knowledge of Dr. Kevorkian’s actions remains limited. To be honest, I barely recall the time of his conviction. The only details I know about the case are based off of limited interviews with the doctor I viewed and on several articles I read. Although I do understand that Dr. Kevorkian pushed prosecutors to charge him in hopes that the Supreme Court would listen to his case and address the issue of euthanasia, I do not understand nor do I agree with his tactics.

I do happen to know, however, that Mr. Youk, Dr. Kevorkian’s last patient, suffered from ALS. As I become more familiar with this illness, the more knowledgeable I become regarding its horror. The disease allows no mercy. It takes away a person’s independence and physical abilities. It compromises a person’s dignity and causes great discomfort (I have other stronger opinions regarding the ailment as well, but they involve anger and swear words, which are not necessary here). Moreover, there is no cure nor is their any effective treatment.

After observing the disease progress through its early stages, I am able to say it is something I never want to endure. If given the diagnosis, I could honestly see myself wanting to end my life. I would not want to deal with the symptoms nor would I want others to watch my body shut down over time. Since there is no treatment and no use in fighting it, I think I would want it to end. I would not embrace the process of my deterioration. Perhaps this admission somehow reveals a weakness of character. However, if I really consider the possibility, there is a part of me that not only understands, but is also empathetic to Mr. Youk’s decision to end his life.

As a condition of his release from prison, Dr. Kevorkian is not allowed to discuss the specific details involved in assisted suicide. Good – he should not be allowed to do the same. He is, however, allowed to discuss the general constructs of assisted suicide. One point that Dr. Kevorkian makes is that his label by some as a murderer is a bit ridiculous. He finds it ironic that he can be labeled a killer and sent to prison for ending one’s life, but a doctor whom carries out abortions does not receive the same punishment.

I do not care to get into a debate regarding either the legality or morality of abortion. My thoughts about the subject are not critical to this entry. What I do find interesting, however, is the difference between the two. It seems to me that both the acts of abortion and of assisted suicide (if looked at from a biological perspective) end lives. With the case of abortion, the mother makes the decision to end the embryo/fetus’s life. With assisted suicide, the individual suffering the illness is to make the decision.

As a country, the United States banned assisted suicide. It is only allowed in Oregon under very specific circumstances (Voters passed a law to allow the same to occur in Hawaii as well, but it was vetoed). It is not legal to kill one’s self. I find it perplexing that we will allow abortions to occur, but will not allow a person to end his or her life when suffering. How can we take away another person’s right to make this decision? What about free will? Moral or not, who am I to decide that a person should suffer? Is it my duty to apply meaning to that person's life when he or she has given up? Would that not be selfish of me? I would never make my pet suffer. I would put it to sleep in an effort to end its misery. Should my fellow humans not be given the same opportunity?

Do not get me wrong -- I am neither promoting assisted suicide nor am I condoning Kevorkian’s actions. It just seems to me that we, as a country, need to reconsider our thoughts/values. Kevorkian’s case serves, in my opinion, as another example of the flawed logic and inconsistency that permeates our society….

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! You bring up some very thought-provoking ideas. As a proponant of both abortion and assisted suicide, I don't struggle with the same issues in the same way, but I do wholeheartedly agree with this as 'another example of the flawed logic . . .". I would actually argue that a person actually has a stronger case to request and receive help in ending their own life, then to obtain an abortion to end a potential other life . . . but that is my spin on the issues at hand.

Hope all is well!
A