Friday, April 20, 2007

Osmosis


Tomorrow I am scheduled to take my licensure exam. For those of you unfamiliar with it, this exam is basically the closest thing there is to the bar exam for law students that is used in the counseling world. I signed up for it thinking, "I should take the test. It is a good logical step". I do not necessarily want to take the test, nor do I need to. It just seems like something I should do. The benefit of taking the exam is that, should I return to my old job, I can be paneled and bill insurance companies (which, by the way, would have absolutely no impact on my hourly wage). I suppose it could make me more marketable in the future too. However, if I do not return to mental health both the test and LMHC title are useless.

In all honesty, I should have started studying for the test in October or so. One should spend several hours per week, each week, for several months studying to be adequately prepared. The test covers theories, laws, etc. It covers every aspect of counseling. Although I suppose this is thorough and all, I do not care a whole lot about career counseling and therefore I have never taken the time to learn about the same. After I take the test, I will never EVER rely on this information again. Oh well....

Due to a variety of circumstances including being overworked and being selectively lazy, I did not have the opportunity to study for the exam until this week. As I sat down on Monday to sort through the material, I came to the conclusion that it is impossible for any human being to sort through such a vast amount of information in the allotted amount of time -- let alone expect him or her to learn it. As it is right now, I have read through about half of the material. Of that half, I may actually be able to recall about an eighth. To say (sorry for my language here) that I am screwed would be an understatement. In fact, it may be the understatement of the century. I have a little over 12 hours to absorb all of the information. I am hoping that a nice combination of prayer, the fact that I teach some of the materials I am being tested on, as well as dumb luck might get me through. I am also considering using my study guides as pillows tonight. In all of my wisdom, there is a part of me that hopes if I drool on the books, I may learn the information via osmosis.

I cannot believe that I get myself in these situations. I really do crack myself up. :)

1 comment:

The Baby Makes 4 said...

Sounds like the way I felt before every exam I have ever taken. You'll do fine! Look at me! I'm living proof that you can still have a fine life with out aceing every exam. Let us know how it goes!