One of my friends called me today. She is sick. She is unsure of her diagnosis. She has not felt quite herself in awhile. She seems to be getting worse. Her combination of symptoms is disturbing. They could be explained (in part) by a variety of diagnoses. Each diagnosis, of course, holds a different prognosis. Some of the prognoses are more favorable than others. Some she could deal with by altering her lifestyle. Others will have a more significant impact of which she has no control.
My friend has known she is ill for awhile. Those around her observed the differences in her behavior too. She is scared by the changes taking place in her body - rightfully so - I would be too. To experience the changes and not know what to attribute them to would be alarming. The thing is that my friend is strong. She takes care of her body and exercises her mind regularly. She also has a beautiful spirit. I know, as her friend, that she can take on anything and defeat it. I also know, if given the opportunity, I will stand by her side fighting on her behalf too.
It seems to me that life's challenges exist for a reason. Most people accept their challenges and are willing to address them (as a lack of acceptance would only lead to one's demise). I know that my friend would be willing to address her illness if she could name it and figure out a plan regarding how to fight it. Pending a proper diagnosis, however, she is left in a state of chaos. In general, anxiety exists when one lacks a sense of control Therefore, anxiety often arises when one is unable to pinpoint a particular challenge, as he or she is unable to address it. One cannot fight if he or she is unsure of that which he or she is to combat. Therefore,I suppose, in many ways, my friend is also anxious due to the absence of a proper diagnosis.
To my friend: I am sorry that you are not feeling well. I know that you are frustrated. Please be patient with yourself. Please be patient with your medical team. Please remember that you are strong. Please remember that I believe in you. Please remember that there are many people that are around (including myself) who are waiting to help fight your battle if you will allow us to do the same. Please remember that we love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment