Thursday, April 12, 2007

Back


I am moody. Anyone who has ever met me can probably confirm the same. Some people seem to think that I perceive myself as moodier than I really am. I think those same individuals are just being kind and seeing that which they choose to see.

Today was hard for me: I have a lot to get done before I leave my job, but do not seem to be able to get anything crossed off of my list. I am too distracted by things I did not anticipate: I had a client end up in jail and had to deal with that, I got into a pissing war (sorry I) with HR about two of my employees, I had a client end up in the ER, I had the Sheriff call about a body they found in the woods. Again, it was a hard (but manageable day) and my mood was poor.

On my way to my first class, I tried to talk myself out of the cranky mood. I understand that it is not my students' fault that I have other things going on. I make an effort to be energetic, upbeat and present when I teach. I think to do any less would compromise the quality of the lesson. It would be a waste of everyone's time. As I drove along the river, I realized I was not succeeding at refocusing myself. I stopped at the coffee stand and grabbed a coffee thinking that the combination of frothy milk, chocolate and caffeine might improve things for me. It did not. Then...it happened.

About a block away from school, I switched radio stations (as none seemed to please me and I was disgusted with my CD selection). Before that moment, I listened to a second of Madonna -- lame. I listened to a track off of Modest Mouse's CD -- not okay. I listened to Tristan Prettyman-- whiny. U2-- annoying....classical music - boring. Nothing could make me happy. Or, at least that is what I thought. It turns out, my friends, that there is one person who can make me laugh and bring me out of a funk that no one else can. His name, you ask? It is Sir-Mix-A-Lot. That is right, "Baby Got Back" brightened my day.

I am not really sure what about this song makes life okay again. Perhaps it takes me back to junior high. Perhaps there is something about the beat. Perhaps it is the fact that I was not feeling to great about my appearance today and the content of his lyrics express an admiration for larger girls. Perhaps it is his poetic lines like, "I ain't talkin' about Playboy - silicone parts are made for toys"...Perhaps it is the lame video and the fact that is starts out with two girls talking and the first one says, "Oh my God, Becky look at her butt...". I am not really sure....

All I know is the my students benefited from the song....after I listened to it, I was a lot less moody. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just two quick statements:

1) You're like Emma on Friends

2) I was singing that song on my last day of work too! Except I was singing the opera version that Kate R and I came up while living together.

T-Dawg said...

You haven't lived until you've heard Mad do the opening girl part. Ask him next time you see him.
Mix Rocks!

Jin Hahn,
T

R & R said...

B: I had to think about that 'Emma' comment for about 5 minutes before I remembered the reference....geesh I am slow. :)

T: I CAN'T WAIT to see Mad again now....:)

Anonymous said...

YOU'RE KILLIN' ME SMALLS!!!!!




Can you think of that reference?