
Each week I read the postcards on postsecret.com (see the link to the right). Sometimes the notes are touching. Sometimes they are a bit crude. Some are just down right odd. I often wonder what possesses people to send their particular notes. I also contemplate what I would send in if I chose to participate.
Last week, the postcard displayed above was on the site. It says, "I will lie in my grave dreaming of things I might have been". The card disturbed me - a lot. As I reflected on it, I realized that given a few more years (or even more than that), this sentiment could be applied to my own life. Is this statement a bit dramatic? Absolutely. True just the same? Unfortunately, yes. Due to a variety of circumstances, including my job, I have recently put myself in an impossible situation. With that thought (and many others) in mind, I resigned. Yep, quit my job. I will not be transferring to another department. I will not be reducing my hours to work part-time so that I may accommodate the other aspects of my life. I am leaving the company -- completely.
As I mentioned before, I was in a rut. For whatever reason, I was incapable of pulling myself out of it. I am slowly starting to think that is fine. I choose to focus on other things instead. I am giving myself permission to be okay with my choice. The fact is that I have other things I would like to pursue. There are things that I would like to do and opportunities I would at least like to have the time to consider. I do not want to get to the end of my life and realize that I short-changed myself. I think I owe it to myself to try. Right now seems like a pretty good time to do that too, as my debt is limited, I do not have children to feed, and I even have a small (and I mean small) savings set aside.
For the first time in my life, I do not have a plan in place. This fact terrifies me. I am not sure what the next step will be for me. I am trusting my ability to figure things out. I hope that I am able to find another job in the near future, as J and I are not well off. Before I do that, however, I am going to give myself a brief break. You see, over the past few years, my job has literally monopolized my entire life. I need to get to know myself again independent from this position. I will have to make peace with that person too. I have many other things to figure out as well. As I embark on that adventure, I hope that I can remain brave...
I hope it does not all backfire.... :)
6 comments:
This can't go bad. Great call. We should celebrate. As soon as you are less employed, you should let me take you out to dinner. Or let me cook you something. Let me know when that is.
Gin Hahn,
T
PS- I know you don't know how I could possibly know its a good thing, but I know it absolutely is. We should only work to live, never live to work, and it reads as if for the past very long time your work life has gotten in the way of your life life. I'm happy for you that you have taken a step in correcting the balance.
Thanks for the support, T. I do appreciate it. I am looking forward to the balance you speak of...Also, I'd love to go out...:)
Gin Hahn!
Thanks for the sharing this exciting news. See you in a week!
Oh, and your gut is brave and it won't let you down! ;)
YAHOOO!
What day will be your last?
~bon
PS: Now the door is open for opportunity to come a knockin'.
Wow - I admire your courage and ability to listen to your instinct - congratulations. I agree with anon. - this can't be a bad thing. All things happen the way they are supposed to happen . . .
And Baby Makes 3: Can't wait for you to come!! I invited K to join us. I am hoping that is okay with you. She suggested we all go to Fred's...she lives over there now. :)
Bon: Thanks for the supprt (as always). To be honest, your comments really motivated me.
A: Thank you for the comment. It actually means a lot -- especially from you. I was curious regarding how you would react. So, as always, thanks for the support.
Post a Comment