Something I have little tolerance for is dishonesty. I struggle with this a lot, as I know that not everyone can be honest all of the time. Truth be told, there have been times when I have blatantly lied myself. Those moments chew at my soul though and I do not forget them. Due to this situation, I tend to be more honest than not. Some may say that I am a bit too honest. In fact, my honesty sometimes strains my relationships. I know that this is the case in at least one of my current relationships, but I digress...
Today I realized one of my friends lied to me over something really stupid. I mean--seriously-- pretty dumb. She basically just indicated that she could not hang out today because she had to be at work. I respect that. I often work on the weekend, etc. The thing is that I know that she did not have to work. I wish she would have just been straight up with me and told me she wanted the day to be alone -- that she did not want to hang out. At least that way I would not have offered to hang out later thus making myself look stupid. I would have just left her alone. Seriously, I am a big girl. I could have handled it. My self-esteem is not that low. She is not my only friend. The situation really would not have mattered to me. Now, however, I am left wondering why she just did not tell me the truth. I think it is lame. On the other hand, it isn't such a big deal that I'll care about it longer than it takes me to write this post.
I doubt that I will call this friend out on her behavior. At this point, I do not think that it matters. If it continues, I may revise my plan. As an instructor, I have a policy (suggested by S) in my freshman class where I will literally let a student lie and cheat for the duration of the quarter until the day of the final during which I call him or her out on the behavior and then fail them in my class. I think there is some type of sweet justice allowing a student to think that I am unaware of a behavior or that I do not care enough to address it only to make it abundantly clear at the moment that it really matters that a.) I do care and b.) I will not allow it.
So-- on the off chance that she may read this: a.) I do know b.) it is lame c.) I am smarter than you think d.)please respect me a little more next time not to lie, and e.)I consistently give you respect and expect no less than the same from you.
No comments:
Post a Comment