I have received a couple of e-mails over the past day or so asking me how my New Year's Eve went and inquiring whether or not I made any New Year's resolutions. In all honesty, my New Year's Eve was not a day I desire to relive any time soon. I am happy that the day marks the end of the year rather than the beginning. Alas, that day is over--time to focus on something new...
As for resolutions-- I do not have any. I am not a New Year's Resolution type of girl. It does not make sense to me to wait until the beginning of the year to make changes in my life. If I see improvements to make, I try to implement them as I can. In addition, I think that the mere concept of resolutions somehow sets a person up for failure. In my mind, it is pretty cruel to tell one's self, "I will lose 20 pounds this year" only to feel guilty for desiring carbs later in the same week. I think that similar examples can be applied to other resolutions as well. I know that when I set such a specific goal for myself and do not comply completely, I either a.) beat myself for failing or b.) give up before I even try. Either outcome is not a way I wish to start off my year. Perhaps that is silly, but that is me.
I have a friend who used to tell herself she would lose weight each year. She did this by cutting out desserts. The funny thing though was that she did not actually give up sweets or the sugar that may have helped her alter her poundage. Instead of having a brownie (or something similar) following her dinner, she would have cereal. She would argue that cereal is not a dessert food so it was okay. I am sorry, but Fruit Loops are no healthier than a cookie. By about February or March each year, she would become discouraged. One might say that she would even get depressed regarding her lack of progress towards achieving her resolution. The whole situation was rather ridiculous as was being around this person. This illustrates only one (albeit extreme) example of a failed resolutions...Yet, they are pretty common just the same.
If I were forced to make a New Year's resolution this year, I think that I would agree to take up smoking. I figure if start smoking, I might lose a few pounds. However, when I inevitably fail to follow-through with this plan, no big deal. It simply means that I will not take time off of my life....
I know, my logic can be flawed, but that is a part of my beauty...
_________________________________________
Wishing everyone a peaceful and safe New Year. May you all be healthy and content throughout 2007....May it be a year of bravery, laughter, and individual growth....
3 comments:
I thought that she gave up desserts for lent? Not that it matters. Hope all is well with you.
She did both..and it NEVER worked. I am telling you--her logic was flawed. Happy New Year, B.
All this name disguising is killing me! I think it is hillarious. You have many, many friends, Sara, and they all seem to read and make it on your blog. I like guessing if I know them or not. Heehee!
Post a Comment