I have a friend whom I have been talking to a lot lately. She is great. She is more intelligent than most, is compassionate, has a great sense of humor and is absolutely beautiful (and no, I will not give you her number or help you get a date with her-- so do not ask). This person and I are similar in a lot of ways. We think too much about really simple things. We are irritated by similar things and both become seemingly flustered over silly moments.
I think that our similarities sometimes hinder our friendship. It seems that although we both respect and admire each other, we want different things from one another at any given time. Don't get me wrong, it is not as if the relationship is inequitable or anything, it is just an unusual friendship. From my perspective, she and I both want to be good to one another. We both have a lot going on right now and have leaned on each other on occassion. Since I know of all of the chaos in her life, I certainly do not want to burden her with my own specialness and I think that she feels the same. We want to be supportive of each other, want to hang out, and want to have fun (as a matter of fact, I should call her to see when we can hang out next). In addition, we are good for one another in that we make each other think. She calls me out when I am being a brat (and, yes, T, that is often). She reminds me that my bite is not as bad as my bark. She helps me refocus my energy. Even if she and I do not hang out or even talk as often as I might like, I believe I am a better person because of our friendship.
Due to the fact that we both tend to overthink things and both probably talk a little too much, we have been discussing our friendship a lot lately. I guess, on some level, we're trying to bridge the incongruties that exist between us. Last Friday, we had discussion about our dynamics. The next day, we talked briefly about the same. It seems as if between Friday and Saturday, we somehow swapped perspectives. I now view things as she described them on Friday and she seems to be taking over my perspective. I find this change a bit perplexing -- both in her and in myself. The thing is that I am unsure if I misunderstood what she said or if she misunderstood me. Maybe we just each had the time to process our thoughts. I do not know. We are silly.
I am thankful that I have friends whom dialogue with me. I like that there is room in my relationships to grow. I hope that my friendships, with this person and others, continue to grow. I hope that we continue to make each other think. I hope that we continue to make each other laugh. I hope that we continue to enhance each other's lives....
1 comment:
wow...i must say your friend sounds like a great person and very attractive as well. but i think you forgot to mention how well your friend fills out a tt? :)
Post a Comment