
Yesterday afternoon was slightly chaotic. For a few moments, I may have panicked. Not for an extended period of time - but definitely for more than a second. We had an issue with a client that I was not really sure how to handle. Part of the issue was that I already mentally checked out for the holiday weekend and was on my way to enjoy a peaceful cup of coffee before joining my girl H and J for dinner when I got a call that really threw a wrench of sorts into my plans.
The details of the whole ordeal really are not of much significance. Now that I reflect on the whole thing, it really was not a big deal. At the time, however, it seemed to be to me. What is of interest (at least to me) is my immediate reaction to the situation. I called my mentor. I asked for help. I needed guidance and knew where to get it. It is interesting to me that when I am stressed, I always return to the same place. I know where I belong and with whom I should be. As I do in most stressful situations, I returned to my old stomping grounds. I looked at familiar faces, received encouragement and was advised to "Be Calm". Granted, I should not have been as pressured as I seemed to get. I should not have needed the hug I received. The fact is, however, that I did. I needed reassurance. I needed encouragement. I needed for someone to care. I received all of those things at the exact time that I so desperately needed them.
I wish that I was able to fully express to my peers how much I appreciate them. I wish I could explain to them how much I need them. I wish that I could offer them as much support as they offer me. I hope that one day, I too can be someone's mentor....
No comments:
Post a Comment