Secrets: I've talked about them before... According to Merriam-Webster's dictionary, a secret is defined as "something kept hidden or unexplained b : something kept from the knowledge of others or shared only confidentially with a few c : a method, formula, or process used in an art or operation and divulged only to those of one's own company or craft d plural : the practices or knowledge making up the shared discipline or culture of an esoteric society".
There is something fascinating about secrets. Some people are arrogant enough to think that if they know all of a person's secrets, they may have a glimpse into his or her soul. Perhaps uncovering one's secrets allows others to feel a certain sense of power over that person. If one knows what another is trying to hide then he or she can compromise that person's sense of safety and anonyitimy.
A lot of energy and effort are required when one is keeping secrets. Afterall, it takes a lot of restraint to censor one's thoughts from others. I wonder how we would interact with one another if we were all just open books to one another. Would we feel free? Would we hurt one another? Would life just be chaos? There is an old saying, "The truth shall set you free". Is that true? Would we each feel more liberated if we had nothing to hide? Would things be boring because there would be no mystery? If there were no secrets, would any of us still have something to call our own?
I personally do not have many secrets-- at least not many that would actually interest others. I do, however, censor some of my ideas from people-- not because I do not feel comfortable with those people being aware of my thoughts, but for fear that they may overanalyze a simple comment or apply meaning that is not there (like a song lyric).
I do not mind sharing myself with others. I do not mind keeping to myself either. Currently, I tend to balance the two extremes and share with others as requested. I suppose I will always have secrets, as will all of you. That is okay with me though. I respect that you will never share all of yourself with me due to fear, anxiety, and your need for privacy. Likewise, I understand that some things in my life will be of no concern to you. Thus, the cycle of secrecy continues....
If, however, you feel the need to get something off of your chest and out of your mind, you may feel free to post it anonymously here. Likewise, you should be prepared to receive a message from me too. Afterall, you never know when I'll have something to share...=)
No comments:
Post a Comment