Do you ever wish that you had psychic powers? The ability to read another person's mind? Would you like to cut the crap and determine exactly what those around you want from you or what they really mean?
It seems as if recently people have said things to me that have prompted me to stop and think. Is that person saying what I think he or she is saying? Am I overanalyzing a casual comment? Not examining it enough? Perhaps I am just a bit more overwhelmed compared to normal and am thinking a bit too much in an effort to cover all my bases. Perhaps I am simply occupying my mind with the trivial details of conversations in an effort to reduce the chaos of my thought processes, which seem a bit more convoluted than normal, especially as I transition from one position to another.
Did she mean to be aggressive and demanding when she asked me to complete the task? Was her comment bitchy? Or, am I tired and a bit impatient? Is she manipulating the situation? Does she honestly need my assistance? Does he really care about the concerns I expressed? Or, is he simply pretending to be empathetic in an effort to be polite? Does he share the same concerns? What does he worry about? Did she tell me about the newest drama in her relationship because she was seeking counsel? Or, was it a story for entertainment? Did I respond the way she expected? Would she have reacted similarly if in my shoes? Did he really just say that or did I imagine it? If he did say it, why? What was the purpose? Should I react? Is there any merit to the tale just told or is its author a bit self-centered? If it is false, should I set the author straight?
Why am I thinking these things over? Why do I care?
I think part of the beauty of human condition, if this makes sense, might be the ambiguity of communication. We choose to communicate what we want. We can filter our thoughts before they escape our mouth. True, some of us have better control over our filters than others. Moreover, communication via technology complicates things further, as the anonymity of the phone or internet allows for further filters.
Life is more interesting because I do not know what others are contemplating. I do not know what they actually think. I do not know how many filters are actually in place. So, although it may make things a bit more simple for me to know exactly what those around me think, I think that things are a bit more intriguing as they are...life would be boring if we could read each other's minds. Afterall, what would I think about late at night? =)
I enjoy speaking with those in my life. I enjoy reflecting on the contents of my conversations. I enjoy applying my own meaning to others' comments. It makes life more interesting...and certainly a bit more entertaining....
No comments:
Post a Comment