Sunday, August 06, 2006

Independent

It is no secret that I enjoy listening to what others have to say. Most of the time, I do not care what they choose to talk about. I will admit, however, that I am more interested or intrigued if the other person involved in the conversation comments on something personal or on the human condition in general rather than something more mundane like brands of tires or what is on sale at the local supermarket.

I recently met a man that has quite a bit to say. He presents as a quiet blue-collar man that seems content with a beer and humming to himself as he works. He seems to be a very simple man, but once he begins talking, it is quite clear that his mind is always working.

One topic this man and I spoke of was American society. He believes that American society is becoming more barbaric as time passes. He sites the decline in the use of proper grammar and an increase in the use of slang and grunting as evidence to this transition. He also indicates that the recent increase in tattoos also indicates a return of sorts to more prehistoric times, as he feels symbolism on the body is used by more primitive cultures rather than more sophisticated verbal communication.

In general, the man's arguments are well thought out and rather logical. Although I do not agree with all he has to say, he prompted me to think about my own horrid speech and the image that my continued use of the words "like" and "dude" convey to the rest of the world. With that said, I wonder if this man changes his views as the world changes or if he is simply narrow-minded. He quotes great works from the 1700s and 1800s, which may be classic, but I am not convinced they are superior to the works of today. Isn't it possible that brilliant people have existed throughout the course of time and will continue to exist long after you and I pass?

As I continued to speak with this man, it became clear to me that he is very confident in his beliefs (which maybe he should be). Further, he has several small children of whom he has already began to pass along his thought processes. I would hate to be present if one of those children were to come home with a tattoo several years from now. Perhaps that child will not actually be trying to communicate anything specific as dictated in his theory, but instead will simply want to display a piece of artwork that he or she thinks is beautiful.

I am not a parent. I do not know if I will ever be given that great responsibility. I do hope, however, that if given the opportunity, I will allow my children to grow up to be individuals. I do not want my offspring to be just like me, as I have numerous flaws. I hope that I will be in the position to create great experiences for my children. I hope that they inherit common sense. Most of all though, I hope that I teach my children to think independently of me....

No comments: