Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Coffee


Tomorrow is my wedding anniversary. My husband and I have been married for four years. How will we celebrate you ask? True to our lifestyle, I will be at work all day and he will be at work all night...

I am happy that we have been married for so long. I consider it quite a testament to my husband's character that he has put up with me for this amount of time. Since our wedding, it seems like we have been through a lot: new jobs, school, buying our first home, selling that same home, a handful of cars, the loss of family members, the birth of others, etc. It is strange though-- although so much has happened, it seems as if even more could occur. Unfortunately, due to our schedules and our lifestyle, we just do not see each other as often as a married couple should (it is pretty sad when you have to schedule a simple dinner months in advance). I will admit, I wonder what we are depriving ourselves of sometimes...

My favorite days are those days when we do absolutely nothing. I love sleeping in. I love slowly rolling out of bed just to go to the local coffee shop to read the paper while sipping on a latte or macchiato. I love walking aimlessly around the neighborhood together and discussing what our future may be like one day. I long for the days that we can just hang out without commitments to our families and friends, without obligations to our professions, and without housework to complete...those days are rare.


I wonder how life would be different if we made a few simple choices differently. What hobbies would we engage in together on a regular basis? How would we spend our weekends? What would we be like? I hope that as our marriage continues, my husband and I are able to make more time for one another. I hope that we are able to travel around the world. I hope that we are able to take cooking classes. I hope that I can help him build the project car he always talks about. Most of all though, I hope that we are able to lounge around and sip coffee....

No comments: