Saturday, May 13, 2006

Perseverate




My husband and I sold our house this week and are about embark on the purchase of another. The whole process is rather horrifying to me. It is a process I can barely conceptualize -- let alone complete.

Buying a house consumes one's entire life when he or she decides to do it. For me, not only did I have to find a new home, I had to maintain the one in which I currently reside so that it would present beautifully to those considering the purchase. I became obsessed with tucking in sheets, putting my laundry away and basically maintaining my home in the way in which I think it should always be, but lack the time to keep it that way...

I find that I tend to perseverate on things--not always necessarily in a bad way, but I do perseverate. For the past few months, my focus was the home-buying process. I look forward to not having to do this again for a number of years. As I reflect upon the habits I picked-up, I am amused: I became obsessed with checking the MLS for new listings. I e-mailed my real estate agent daily. I learned the crime statistics for a majority of Snohomish County.

I realized that we all do this--to a certain point. We often become clouded by the newest projects in our lives and become distracted from those things that are truly important. As I observe not only my own behavior, but also that of those around me, I see that we are all too self-centered. Some of us forget to honor our commitments, others forget to relax and have fun. I hope as I embark on my new home and a new stage in my life that I remember what is important to me: family, friends, joy, and love. I need to perseverate on these things and roll with the rest...

No comments: