Tadpole and Sprout,
I try my very best to document your lives independently, as you both have so much to record. You're both so full of energy and zest that I want to remember everything. Alas, this month it just isn't going to happen.
The end of last month was chaos -- to say the least.
This is our first Fall living on our little farm. The leaves turned color quickly and there is a distinct chill in the air. Storms are more noticable, too. We endured our first major storm in the middle of November. It was terrifying. We knew that we would likely lose power and were really quite okay with that. What we did not anticipate, however, were trees falling over into the street -- knocking out powerlines on their way. We have a row of 12 poplar trees. They're beautiful, but old. I adore them. Apparently, the previous owners did, too. Three fell in the storm. After several people stopped to yell at us to move our trees out of the roadway, we learned that this pattern of wind + downed trees are common for our property.
Daddy and I made some people angry as we refused to move the trees. You see, there were live powerlines down and to move the tree would compromise our safety, as well as that of others. When the trees initially fell, I was home alone. Daddy was with you and PP. I called and you all came home quickly. Daddy took one look around and ordered you, me, and PP to leave immediately. We did. We went to a local restaurant where I spend most of our time there ill because I was so stressed out about our house and your Daddy's safety. Then, we went to PP's where we spent the night even though his power was out, too. In general, you both did quite well. You enjoyed getting to go out to eat, seemed oblivious to how upset I was, and were excited to play with PP's flashlights. You boys and I snuggled as we shared a bed -- me wide awake while you slept peacefully. Daddy remained at home on guard. He had only seen the damage to our property in the dark and had no real idea of how bad it was or was not. In the middle of the night, however, a fire broke out down the street. Daddy and the neighbors called 911, but the firemen never came. Luckily, the fire did not spread to our fence and eventually went out on its own so there was no additional damage to our proprty.
The next day, you were able to go to school. Tadpole: You were a little self-conscious because you had to wear the same outfit to school two days in a row to school AND it was picture day. You looked great though! Daddy and I both took the day off from work and did our best to clean up our property. Eventually, the PUD came out and restored power. They requested we consider cutting down our trees. We agreed. Daddy found one itty bitty branch that fell with such force that it went almost 2 feet into the ground. I am so thankful that no one got hurt. Since then, we've had a few estimates -- we're looking at an expense of between $10-25K. That is a LOT of money! We'll do it though, as safety is a priority.
The day after that, Daddy and I were tired, but grateful. We were thankful that no one was hurt in the storm, that the trees fell across our property rather than on a structure, and that the fire did not spread. We were thankful we were all safe and able to be together. You see, Mama's friend, A, lost her daughter the day of the storm. Our hearts were already heavy. It was due to this we were acutely aware of how lucky we are despite the stresses we endured.
Daddy got a cup of coffee while I got you both ready for school. Then, Sprout, you decided to go check on Daddy. As he turned away for just a moment, you grabbed his hot coffee, getting it all over your torso. You wore a sleeper, which we could not get off of you fast enough. As you screamed in pain, we were eventually able to see how severe the burn was and rushed you into the car to take you to the Emergency Room. You were in so much pain that you writhed right out of your carseat as Tadpole tried to reassure you that you were okay. Daddy tried to drive fast, but we couldn't get anywhere. The damage from the storm caused trees to fall in to roads and the river to overflow. We returned home and Daddy called 911. It was one of the few times I've seen him cry. I got into the shower with you. You seemed comforted by the pressure of being up against my chest. The firefighters came to our house, took one look at you and decided you needed to go to the hospital. As I rode in the ambulance with you, the EMTs notified us that you would go to the local burn unit rather than the Children's hospital. By this point, you were more calm so I was okay. At the ER, you received morphine for your pain, but the ER doc demanded that you go to the major trauma hospital in our area. After another ambulance ride, we were there. Over the next several hours, we met a number of doctors and other professionals, you received wonderful care and much attention. You also received as much juice and graham crackers as you desired. Once you were over the pain, you were, in many ways, in paradise. They placed you in a crib that looked more like a jail cell, which you were not having. We requested a normal bed, which I climbed into with you. You finally fell asleep and got some rest. We stayed in the hospital overnight and then returned home the next day. Your brother did well while we were away. He got to spend the night with N and G where he was spoiled to the 9s. That night, we were all reunited, safe, and thankful - oh so thankful- to be together again. Since then, you've healed beautifully.
Daddy and I have always loved you both so much, but this months has just magnified how special you both are to us and how much we want to be with you, always.
Love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment