Monday, August 03, 2015

Thirty-seven and Thirty-eight

Tadpole,

I am behind in documenting your life. For that, I feel guilt. Actually, for all of my shortcomings as a parent, and there seem to be many, I feel guilt. I'm told this is a normal part of parenting though.

While I can't recall of the details of the past two months, I can confirm that it has been a whirlwind of chaos --we moved, I started a second job, and Daddy switched positions, too. We're overwhelmed, too busy, and totally happy. I call our life 'beautiful chaos'.

You, my sweet boy, are a source of much of the chaos. You have so much energy and want to GO! GO! GO! It doesn't seem to occur to you that we have responsibilities, as individuals and as a family. You're all about the next best source of fun. It is pretty awesome, actually.

Last month, you switched classrooms at school. Thus far, I'm not convinced it is the best move of your life, as I'm not sure you're feeling as challenged as I would like. With that said, I recognize that by going from the oldest to the youngest in the class is quite a switch in social roles. You do seem to be content though. My hope is that you'll flourish in your new environment soon. I want you to love every day of school!

Outside of school, you've been busy serving as your brother's chauffer and supervisor. You seem to like to direct what he does and where. You frequently drive him around our new property in your police car and decided what the two of you will play. You suggest different games to play, songs to sing, and books to read. At bedtime, you try to insight a riot each evening with your little brother and stuffed animal army in tow. Your belief is that no one should have to sleep ever. Alas, you need sleep, my sweet little tadpole. You're a mess without it!

Unfortunately, you've had tummy issues for awhile now. First a virus and then other complications. In fact, your school even called with concerns about your health the other day. The good news is that while things seem a little 'off', you are essentially oblivious to it. You remain happy, active, and full of beautiful mischief. I will tell you, however, that I never knew how much one could talk about bodily fluid until I had you.

That aside, you are one of my greatest sources of joy. I love dreaming up adventures with you, considering the future, and explaining the world to you the best I know how. You teach me a lot, too. You remind me of my priorities, convince me to enjoy the sun and other of life's beauties, and serve as a constant reminder of all that for which I have gratitude. While you and your brother are a lot of work these days, Daddy and I wouldn't have it any other way. We're so thankful that you are our son. Each day you make us laugh, challenge us to grow, and bring light into our lives. We love you so much.

Love,
Mama

No comments: