Monday, April 20, 2015

Twelve 2.0

Sprout,

Well, it is official. You are one year old. No longer a baby, but always my baby. I spent your birthday experiencing a mix of emotions. On one hand, I wanted to run across the room to your Daddy, give him a high-five, and exclaim, "We survived!". On the other hand, I wanted to sit in a corner and cry, grieving your infancy, knowing you will likely be the last member to join our family. It went too fast. I miss your baby-hood already.

On the upside, things in life are good. You are developing more of a personality each day. While your brother still will not really allow you to talk much, you communicate your feelings well. You want food NOW! You want to picked up 5 minutes ago! Also, you do not care to sleep. Except...well, you do sleep a bit more now, finally. I think it has to do with the fact that you are moving more and exerting more effort most of the time. You are currently in the process of transitioning from the infant classroom to one with toddlers. Your peers walk. You are determined to do so, too. Speaking of moving, you are in to E V E R Y T H I N G! If there is a drawer to open, you do. Then, you empty it. If there is an animal to chase, you will. If your brother is in your sight, you want to go to him. If there is a door to open, you will. Daddy and I must be on our game -- all of the time!

Much like your brother, you seem freakishly smart. You like to figure out how things work. Dryer door? You figured that out months ago. Channel changer? You get the premise. Garage door? You've got that down. You literally sit and figure out how everything works. It is amazing to watch your mind at work. Also, similar to your brother, you have the ability to win hearts over. You like to play a bit aloof, like a cat. You will often avoid a person's gaze or turn your head completely away from him or when you know a person is trying to chat with you. Then, you'll look directly at them and smile one of your amazing smiles that brightens any room.

You remain interested in legos, hot wheels, and singing. Your favorite song is 'Bringing Home a Baby Bumblebee". "Itsy Bitsy Spider" is a close second. You still prefer to be on the move than to read, but you will sit through any of the Eric Carle books and adore 'I Love You Through and Through" too. You think it is hilarious to dump almost anything to the floor and want to touch everything. Like me, you are incredibly tactile. When not playing, singing, or chasing after your brother, you love to snuggle with me or go for a ride in your stroller. You are even content to hitch a ride in your brother's police car on occasion.

This month, like all the others, it seems, has been a busy one. We continue to assess whether or not we should move and are exploring our options. Daddy and I want you and your brother to have plenty of room to roam without the pesky perimeters of too many unsavory characters in your midst. We want a big piece of property for you to run around with dirt to dig and fresh air to breathe. We also want to give you such an opportunity while not sacrificing too many conveniences or financial stability. It will be interesting to see where we end up. I know, however, no matter where we go, as long as you, your brother, and Daddy are with me, my heart will be full.

Daddy and I love you so much, my little Sprout. We're so thankful to be your parents.

Love,
Mama

No comments: