Tadpole,
You are thirty-four months old. That seems like so long, yet feels like a blink of an eye. I often catch myself watching you and wondering how you got to be so big. At the same time, I'm acutely aware of how small you remain.
This month was an odd one for us. Daddy went back to nights and many of your friends transitioned to the next class. Thus, you've experienced a lot of change over the past few weeks. We also put an offer in on a house. You and I were in love with it and heart-broken when we did not get it. You often say, "Mama, I'm sad about that M house". Me too, baby, me too. Alas, I am confident that life will continue to be good and that things will develop as we desire.
Daddy and I finally figured out that as long as we frame things as 'adventures' to you, you're down with whatever we would like to do. Sometimes our adventure is to go get gas. Other times, we go to get a cookie at the store. Sometimes we end up at the park. Every time is something new and unexpected thus you're game for it. In fact, when we ask you if you would like to go on an adventure, your eyes begin to twinkle and a slow smile spreads across your face. It is awesome! I wish that we could always have the ability to create such magic in your life, even if it is rather simplistic.
When not embarking on adventures as a family, you tend to be fiercely independent these days. You never want Daddy or I to be too far from you, but you certainly want us to let you be autonomous. You must insist, "I'll do it by myself" no less than 30 times per day. It is exhausting for the rest of us, but we try to allow you the space you need to master whatever challenge before you. Sometimes you become frustrated because, as it turns out, you need help sometimes. At other moments, you are completely delighted by your capabilities. I try to explain to you that it is okay to seek assistance from others. Then, I remember you are two. Two year-olds do not want to hear such things.
At school, you remain quite busy. Circle time is likely still your favorite. Your teacher teaches you a new song each month, which you rehearse throughout the subsequent 30 days (or so) with such passion and dedication. You're also busy learning your letters and numbers as well as completing a number of art projects. You're great at counting to about 30 or so, although you do struggle at times. You've also started to understand the concept of addition. You're great at it when we can get you to slow down enough to think it through. You are able to identify all of the letters now, too, but continue to struggle a bit when looking at lower-case letters. You spell several words (through route memorization) and have indicated some desire to learn how to write. Your bigger desire, however, is learning how to drive. You are obsessed with getting your driver's license. No matter how many times I explain that you're not tall enough to reach the pedals and that the law prohibits you from driving at this time, you insist it won't be too long before you do. I have no idea from where this new obsession came. Alas, we're planning a race car birthday for you just the same. Perhaps that will help you a bit.
You continue to be an amazing big brother. While you're clearly jealous of the attention your brother receives at times, you're good at including him on most activities, ensuring that his needs are met, and demonstrate patience when you sense that he really needs it. Interestingly enough, you've also developed this special way of saying your brother's name when you think he's being a bit naughty. You say it with an inflection not used by the rest of us. I love that you are such a good leader to your brother and that he admires you so much. My hope is that you will continue to value each other and look out for each other throughout the rest of your lives. You're both so amazing!
I realized the other day that as you get older, you challenge me more -- not only within the moment, but as a person in whole. You challenge my patience, make it so that I want to learn new things to teach to you, you ask tough questions that make me stop and think, you also encourage me to play more, work less, and be planful about how I spend my efforts in life. You, my sweet boy, make me a better person. You continue to bring so much happiness to your Daddy and me. We couldn't ask for anything more -- you and your brother are our own brand of perfection. We are so lucky to have you in our lives. We love you!
Love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment