Friday, May 07, 2010

Crispy

In general, I like teaching, but this point in the semester always stresses me out. Students finally calculate their scores and realize they're not doing as well in their classes as they think they ought to be. They often refuse to take responsibility for the same. They typically blame me.

Part of being a college instructor is having a thick skin. I sure try to do that, but sometimes I fail. Students typically do no recognize (or care) how much time goes into teaching. They assume that instructors show up for classes and then move on with their day. The fact is that it requires so much more. There is grading time, prep time, supervision time, research time, communication time, and then just a bunch of daily drama. Good teachers, from my perspective, go beyond the daily grind and invest in students. Investing in others often takes a toll on the individual.

I do not mind investing. It is part of the reason I joined the field. However, when taken advantage of, or not appreciated, I feel a little burned out.

Right now, I am a bit crispy.

No comments: