Thursday, January 07, 2010

HSG

This is a post in which I share too much. Why? Because I need to get it out of my head...This is the place I come to complete that task. Consider this your warning. You never needed (or wanted, I'm sure) to know so much...

A few weeks, I mentioned 'Chang' was on my mind and with good reason too. I thought about him as I prepared for an appointment. Earlier this month I went in for a hysterosalpingography (HSG). First of all, let me tell you, my dear blog reader, that this test is not pleasurable. In fact, it is down right uncomfortable. Had it lasted for more than a couple of minutes, I would not have been okay. In short, a doctor shoots dye into the woman's uterus to view the shape of the uterus and to observe the flow through the fallopian tubes.

Since my hospitalization several years ago, I have made no effort to prevent pregnancy. I have had a few incidences of significant concern, but nothing quite as notable as the orginal occurrence. One would expect that someone my age in relatively good health would conceive without difficulty. In fact, Chang came without any effort at all. Yet, the fact remains that the occassional pitter-patter of footsteps around our house is never from children that our ours.

It is true that I have a variety of medical conditions which can affect one's ability to have children. Some might even say that my DNA rocks (thanks mom and dad!!! -- just kidding). Despite the same, my health is not so poor that it would be out of the question for me to have children. Thus, I concluded that something else must be wrong. I suspected that it might be a result of my previous hospitalization. Indeed, it seems that I was correct.

Since the doctor that conducted the test was not my primary doctor, he would not speak with me in detail. He briefly reviewed the results of HSG (which I could already see), but offered me no specific explanation regarding my treatment options. My follow-up appointment will occur later this month. In the meantime, I completed a significant enough amount of research on my own. For now, nothing is overtly wrong. Nothing necessarily has to occur either. For whatever reason, that doesn't make it any less on my mind....

No comments: