I'm finally full-swing into a new academic quarter. It seems like it takes a lot, but I may just be finally establishing a bearable pace. With eight classes, I must be more organized than ever. I bought a calendar. I take notes regarding students' papers in a handy-dandy little notebook. I write lists.
I suppose that I like my new arrangement. I am never bored - that is for sure. There is one part of the whole situation, however, that eats at me.
T worked for 'Goliath National Bank'. Well, one of the schools for which I work could be termed 'Goliath National School'. I've taught for the school for about two years now. In that time, I've had about 6 'mentors'- most of whom do not know my subject or the school policies and whom are useless. Others are only there due to timing and the correct credentials (to say nothing of skill, knowledge, or common sense). In some respects, the school is awesome in that the work provided is rather steady, the course familiar, and the paycheck on time. In other respects, however, it just pisses me off. We have frequent conference calls during which the same damn information is repeated every 3 weeks, there are requirements for minimum numbers of posts by the instructor, turnaround times that are a bit extraneous, and there is little genuine support for adjunct faculty.
In general, the negatives have not outweighed the positives. With that in mind, I continue to take classes. I irritate J with all the damn particulars of my 'contractual requirements', which impact him during vacations or any other day of the year. He is patient, but I see past that (not that he hides it). Quite frankly, I'm nervous about money. The school provides me with money. Thus, I stay.
Yet, this session two things have occurred thus far that have made me really think more about looking for other opportunities:
1. The school changed the text required for the course without informing me of this decision.
2. The revised curriculum is shit.
I feel that schools should expect a lot from students. I feel that not only should students be required to write well and research, they should not be instructed to do anything less substantial. Students are in school to learn. Those who indicate they're only there to obtain a piece of paper should not be there at all. All they'll acquire in the process is debt and a bad attitude.
One of the things that makes me a great teacher is that I care. Not all professors do. I think that my propensity for 'giving a damn', as it were, has prevented more than a few kids from dropping out of school. I may have even inspired a few along the way as well. It is this same quality of caring, however, that leads to my personal dissatisfaction at time. Often, I get disappointed with the system. Sometimes, I feel I have to compromise myself. On occasion, my integrity is challenged.
I do not want to have compromise being a good instructor for what is convenient for others. Part of what makes me effective is that I do not fit into a mold.
Goliath and I clearly have some work to complete.
3 comments:
Yeah - Goliath's can be real first class motherfuckers.
Cheers!
T
First, there’s nothing wrong with keeping on “keeping on” with a school for the money. Look at it this way (and explain it to J, too) – it’s only temporary until you can replace it with another school that you like better than pays as well. And that WILL happen. It just takes a while sometimes : -)
Teachers who give a damn often are those who have higher academic expectations than the usual online teacher you see in most classes. Comments on course evals and emails bear this out. They see it this way – I wouldn’t take the time to grade “hard” with lots of positive and instructive comments, require such precise and correct work from them (which causes me more time to grade), or email them to nag when stuff’s not done right if I didn’t care.
I’ve had the opportunity to visit classes for “training” purposes and I am absolutely appalled at the so-called feedback that I’ve seen in every class I’ve visited. There are no comments on papers beyond “good work” and a sentence or two on content and certainly no comments about discussions. And they are MIA in students’ discussions. It gives us all a bad rep.
I wouldn’t do all that I do if I didn’t care. And students know that. Except the ones who want A’s for doing nothing – they’ll rip you a new one on course evaluations!! And the funny thing is that you always know who wrote those nasty comments on the evals. And they think those things are anonymous. Yeah right. And we’re stupid, too!!
Post a Comment