Friday, July 31, 2009

Win

Did I mention that I quit my day job?

Because I did.

It was a decision that was a long-time coming. Oh, and now I have quitter's remorse. I am scared shitless regarding the financial and professional ramifications of my actions, but the fact is that there is really nothing that can be done now. My replacement is awesome and basically already in my chair. My last day is the 20th.

There were several factors that led to my choice. Some of them were personal - others were professional. My replacement likes to hang out in this section of cyberspace on occasion though - so I will not go into details.

What I will tell you, faithful reader, is that I slated six months. For six months, I will simply 'work on projects'. I have some classes to teach, some research in the works, some writing opportunities, and a couple of other things up my sleeve. Details will follow eventually when I feel more confident in their statuses.

At the conclusion of six months, I will re-evaluate my path. I may call my current or previous employer and beg for a job. I may move on to other things. I do not know. I try hard not to think about it.

My brother-in-law and I spoke about a month ago. In general, he is an interesting guy. He, like anyone, has his strengths and his points for refinement. Overall, he is intelligent though. He has a varying perspective than most people I know. Further, he gets finances. I told him about a few of my concerns with my position and how they affect my long-term goals (as undefined as they may be). I also indicated that I tend not to do too much about the same because I am afraid to compromise my finances. He explained to me that in life one must consider the 'ideal me' and the 'almost certainly probable me'. Closely related to this idea is the concept of 'playing to win' or 'playing not to lose'. One cannot do both. 'Playing not to lose' ensures a sense of security. It almost always results in a tie in life. 'Playing to win' sacrifices the security for a chance at something else -- something presumably improved. It also places one in the position of having the possibility of losing.

Right now, I'm playing to win.


My plan is to win.

3 comments:

A said...

If your plan is to win, then you will.

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you. And out of work 9/1.

We should do lunch one day after.

Gin Hahn,
T

R & R said...

Thanks to you both.

T - I don't know if that was the timing you'd hoped for or not. I sure hope so. At any rate, I'd like that very much. Lets arrange something as that date gets a little closer.