This morning I was in the main building where all of the social sciences staff has offices. I am rarely there, as I do not maintain an office on campus. Yet, I needed to use the Scantron machine so there I was. My boss passed by and noticed me. He stopped to chat. We discussed the progress in our classes thus far in the quarter and I expressed my excitement regarding finally utilizing the Scantron machine versus grading everything by hand as I usually do. We discussed next year’s academic schedule as well.
During Fall quarter, I have a less than desirable schedule. I have the night slot at one of our satellites. In all reality, I do not really mind the class, but would prefer to be closer to home. I do not like getting home so late at night. The good news is that I do not have a split class load and therefore do not have classes first thing in the morning in addition to the night. Much to my disappointment, I may only have one course during the Fall. With that said, I am still grateful to have any opportunities.
As our discussion progressed, my boss said, “So, what are you doing in November? How flexible is your day job?” Odd question. I indicated that I tend not to plan that far ahead and did not know. I asked what was up. In an odd twist, my boss needs to find a sub for a few weeks during Fall quarter, as the woman they just hired (the #1) is pregnant. Turns out she is not as old as I was told initially. Hmpf.
A part of me thinks it would be cool to fill in for awhile. Depending on how things go, it could play out to be a little bit more of an extended position, which would be a nice opportunity. A part of me is a little less than thrilled, as I do not like being at the college’s mercy like I am. I also know that they’re not going to know their needs until it get closer to the time of her delivery. Thus, I will not really be able to coordinate with my regular job until much later. Is that really fair to do?
Interestingly enough, I have been thinking about other opportunities as well. Should I pursue the same with this new task in my future? Should I not worry about what might be at the college? I do not really know. It is all a bit perplexing.
No comments:
Post a Comment