I recently switched from teaching very late classes to teaching very early classes. The silly thing is that I still go to bed rather late. Needless to say, this particular combination of circumstances does not meld well together. I am often exhausted by the time I get home from work. Luckily, I catch a second wind around 10 (about when I should try going to sleep). J's schedule is a bit odd this week as well. He was subpoenaed for both of his days off. Last night he worked his shift, slept for a couple of hours and then left for court.
Tonight we were both hungry -- the type of hungry that will not wait for anyone. The "I needed to eat lunch, but was too busy and oh yeah, I failed to eat breakfast today too" type of hungry. Thank goodness for coffee -- at least IT is a good appetite suppressant. Neither of us felt like cooking. Yet, we ACUTUALLY had food and are trying not to eat out as much as we do. We had no valid excuse not to eat at home however neither of us was truly motivated to cook nor inspired to do the same.
As we complained about the fact that we do not have a "Rosie" like the Jetsons whom could cook for us, I snacked on a few Wheat Thins while taking inventory of what was in our fridge. I noticed we had a lot of produce on the verge of going bad. Figures -- it always seems to be going bad. Perhaps our household just needs preservatives. I became frustrated regarding the fact that more food would go to waste as I considered pre-heating the oven for a frozen pizza (or something equally oh-so-nutritious). Then -- it hit me! We could combine all of the random things about to go bad to create one chaotic meal. Somehow we could use the avocados, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, mozzarella, cheddar, stale chips, etc.
I know that combining the random ingredients in one's kitchen is nothing out of the ordinary for most people -- but for us, at least tonight, it was something extraordinary. It led to our very own tapas party!!!! It was awesome and oh-so- yummy. Our dinner:
- stuffed mushrooms
- nachos with fresh guacamole
- bruschetta
Mmmmmm.......
No comments:
Post a Comment