Because I have just GOT to share this….
On Friday mornings I only have one class. It is at 8 am. This morning I went a few minutes earlier than normal, as I really did not have a lecture put together yet. When I arrived, a few students were already there. We walked into the classroom and there was BIRD POOP everywhere!! Excuse the graphicness, but like feces from a birdie's behind!! For real!! No bird in sight though and the windows were closed!!
The bird did not concentrate his or her business to one area. It was on random desks, on the chairs, on the floor and even on the wall. It was disgusting. For a half-second or so I contemplated trying to have class around the mess. Then, it occurred to me that the environment was not only disgusting, but also a myriad of heath code violations.
Since this particular scenario was novel to me, I did not know how to proceed. I picked up the phone and called the main switchboard. The operator connected me to some guy’s voicemail. About 7 connections later, a maintenance man arrived to the classroom. At the time, several students and I were discussing whether or not to cancel class. I was fine about the plan. They were not. Afterall, they got out of bed especially for the course.
The maintenance man introduced himself to one of my students (whom happens to have grey hair). She indicated she was a pupil and introduced me as the instructor. He said, “I’m sorry. You’re the teacher?” I replied, “I know. I look like I am 12.” My students then engaged in a conversation regarding how they too found it hard to believe on the first day of class that I was the instructor based on my looks. After listening for a moment, I finally said, “Um…hello. I am standing right here. I can hear you talking about me”. It was all quite amusing.
Luckily, I still have my key from last quarter and that particular classroom was empty. We all relocated. It was quite the adventure.
Happy Friday to me....what a life I lead. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment