Friday, January 11, 2008

Ockham

One of my primary goals as an instructor is to make students think. I do not really care if they memorize the names of dead guys. I am also not concerned with their ability to repeat theories to me. I am more worried about whether or not they will be able to look at new information, assess it, and come up with their OWN thoughts about the same. College, in my opinion, is about learning to think in a critical manner. It is, in many ways, all about becoming one's own person.

With all of this in mind, I spend some time at the beginning of each quarter discussing Ockham's Razor. This concept, more commonly known as the Law of Parsimony, basically says this: All other things being equal, the simplest explanation for a given situation is often the correct explanation. To help my students remember this concept, I tell them to remember the word KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid!

The other night was a rough class for me. I am having a difficult time adjusting to my new schedule. Four classes plus a full-time job is a lot. I suspect it would be a lot for anyone. Eventually, my brain quit. It just turned off. I was unable to think so I dismissed class early. After class, one of my students approached me. As she came to the front of the class, I thought, "Crap. My lecture was lousy and she is going to complain". This was not exactly the way things went.

I asked her how she was doing. She said she was doing well. I asked her if she learned anything in the class that night. She replied, "Yeah. It is too bad we ended early. I can't wait until next time". She added, "I know this is stupid, but I wanted to let you know that I've already learned a ton in here. As a matter of fact, I broke up with my boyfriend this week because of you".

Huh?

Freud? Check.
Skinner? Check.
Scientific Method? Check.
Neurons? Check.
Boyfriends? Wasn't on the list for lectures this week.

Hmmm.....

The girl went on to explain, "You see, most of the time I don't understand what my professors are saying, but I get things when you talk. Earlier this week you told us to think for ourselves or to get out of the class [Editor's note: This is not EXACTLY what I said]. Then, you told us about KISS. I wasn't keeping things with my boyfriend simple. Things were always hard. There is always drama. I don't need it. It takes away from who I am. So, I got rid of him. I am keeping things simple. Thanks for helping me out".

It is weird how I often have an impact without realizing the same. At times, it is quite the responsibility. At other times, it is is an honor. This situation serves as a great reminder to me regarding how important my role can be. I need to remember that when I am frustrated. I need to remember that when I am tired. I need to remember that when I want to give up.

Wife? Yes.
Sister? Yes.
Daughter? Yes.
MHP? Yes.
Teacher? Yes.
Relationship Expert? Evidently... :)

No comments: