A friend of mine recently departed my life. I suppose she may be around on some level again in the future, but she and I will no longer have the relationship we once had. She and I have gone our separate ways in life. We moved on from where we once were. We no longer share the common bond that brought us together.
I find myself wondering why we have the relationships in life that we have. Why is a person born into a particular group of people (whether it be the family, community, etc.)? Why do we work with whom we work? How and why do we become friends with those whom we do? Why do we maintain some relationships but let others dwindle away?
I find that I am often a loner. I am awkward in crowds and do not interact well with others socially. With that said, there are some people that have such a great impact on my life that I cannot imagine an existence where I do not interact with them often. I am a firm believer in the fact that we influence and are influenced by every person we come across in life. Often, I suspect we are unaware of such influences, but I think they are still there.
I typically excel very well or fail miserably when it comes to maintaining contact with others. I have learned that communication is a two-way street as well. As my friend and I redefine our relationship, I wonder what efforts we will put forth in each other’s lives. Without our previous circumstances, I wonder if we will still care. Is it possible to have a meaningful relationship with someone despite a divide of space and interactions? Or, is the old saying ‘Out of Sight, Out of Mind’ true? I suspect reality lies somewhere in between these two extremes.
I suppose we will see.
5 comments:
You are often out of my sight but seldom out of my mind. I love you and miss you. Good luck with your walk this weekend.
B,
Good point. Thanks for the comment. I often think of you too. :)
Not to say that you don't know yourself best, but I have always found you to be a delight in social situations. One thing that I have discovered is that I am kind of a sucky friend. I am terrible at staying in touch and the friends that I do have definately are the initiators. It kind of shames me, because I want to have close and meaningful relationships with many people, but I just don't seem to have it in me. I'm feeling a little bummed right now that we weren't able to connect when we visited in April...another example of poor follow through on my part. We'll see you someday.
-S
S-
Please do not feel bad. We will catch up with each other soon enough. From my perspective, you seem to maintain relationships very well. Hope you guys are doing well!
A Post Script of sorts...it seems that my friend and I are able to maintain our friendhip despite our busy schedules. As a matter of fact, I suspect she and I will be just fine. I suppose we both still care. I am pleased with the same and look forward to this new phase in our relationship....
Post a Comment