Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Disappointment

It seems that over the past few days I have constantly been on the verge of tears, which is an unusual situation for me. I typically lash out if upset rather than breaking down. In addition, I am not sleeping well either. I have a lot of stuff going on, coupled with a lot of drama I did not anticipate or need.

I am disappointed right now. I am disappointed in myself and in those around me. Actually, I am not disappointed in anyone in particular, but instead in their behaviors.

Awhile ago, S commented, "There is no need to go into detail, because the point I would like to make is that there is no hope in humanity. I'm sorry, but my belief is that humans are born sinful and we strive our whole life to suppress our selfish and evil desires. Some people do pretty well, but deep in the inner recesses of their conscience, lie unimaginable things. Given my belief of this, it is only through a perfect sacrifice that I could be redeemed. That is why my hope lies with in Jesus Christ". S made this statement in response to my expression of disgust with a few women around the country whom took the lives of innocent children. At the risk of taking his comment out of context, it appears to me that S thinks this theory applies to all of humankind. Therefore, I guess that this comment could be applied to the recent actions of those with whom I am disappointed.

The thing is, with all due respect to S, although I respect his beliefs, I do not agree with them unconditionally. I believe all people have the capacity to be good. I do not believe that S's beautiful daughter has evil desires. I do not think she has the mental capacity to do the same. I believe, if given the correct environment and guidance, she will not have to suppress evil actions. I cannot afford to think that way. I make a living believing in people and their capacities to do well by themselves and the world. I need to know that those around me are good.

I believe my expectations of people to be good help them to achieve that status. If a person is not held to high standards, he or she will not rise to those standards. If we do not expect people to be good, they will not choose to do the same. It is with this belief that I consider those around me and am disappointed. The wonderful thing about disappointment and my belief in humans' innate capacity for good is that I expect to see change. Disappointment magnifies the variability across the human condition.I believe things will get better. This hope keeps me going.

It is what helps me inspire others to strive to be their best.

4 comments:

The Baby Makes 4 said...

I am glad my comment has provoked thought and I am perfectly OK with agreeing to disagree. A couple of things that I wanted to comment on from your post: I do agree that all mankind has the capacity to do good and that through behavioral training and modeling that many can even do good most of the time. The question that I have is what is the standard for "good" behavior and who sets it? I believe that according to relative comparison many people could be considered good. I might even consider myself one of them, yet I struggle with feelings of pride and greed. I find myself wanting things others have or being prideful of my accomplishments, my beautiful family, or even the fact that I'm the bomb.:) I would argue that children can especially prove my point that humans are innately flawed. My daughter, while cute and sweet, has to be taught the concepts of sharing, speaking kindly, and obedience. If we were to leave her to her own devices, she would go around stealing toys from other children, slapping, screaming, giving angry eyes, and several other behaviors that in adulthood, would be frowned upon. Yet, given her age, it is somewhat expected. Relative comparison. Given the standard that I believe is set before us by our Creator, her behavior would be considered evil as would my thoughts of pride and covetessness. Additionally, I absolutely agree with you that people need to be held to a high standard, the highest standard. Therein lies the reason that God had to send his son Jesus Christ to this world. People had to see what exactly the standard was and then realize that there was no way they could attain it. Jesus' life as a man set the stage for the most perfect gift of all;

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever would believe in Him would not die, but have everlasting life John 3:16

R & R said...

Ah...S, I've been waiting for you to stop by...

I don't really have too much time to think and respond at this time. I'll try to do the same over the next couple of days.

I guess my only initial reaction at this point is that I do not see "flawed" and "evil" as equivalent terms.

I too think it best that we agree to disagree on some things, but appreciate the dialogue...Will engage in it again soon...

The Baby Makes 4 said...

You are right about the terms. After thinking about it, sin is the term that I should have used in both instances. We are sinful by nature and sin is what separates us from God. Jesus was not sinful, He was perfect, and He died the eternal death that we deserve in our stead. Sin still separates us from God, but if we believe in the sacrifice, we are redeemed.

The Baby Makes 4 said...

Anna says...sin means to "miss the mark". We all sin and fall short of the glory of God. Look at this world..if left alone humankind does terrible things to one another. If we strive after the "mark" Christ has laid before us we will choose good over bad and understand that yes, better things are coming, and that is living in a perfect world where there is no sadness, suffering, or pain. That world is coming...humanity isn't supposed to live like this forever...we are just supposed to understand why we are here through a knowledge of God and to seek after His will. Without God I don't know how anyone could make sense of a world like this. Why do good people suffer? Why are we sad when a loved one dies? Why are we made for relationships? I have hope and hope in others that what we see around us isn't the be all and end all. I have hope that any person who believes in Jesus Christ and a life seeking after the will of God will then be forever changed and made new...the old will pass away...and everlasting peace will fill their hearts no matter what prevails around them.