Thursday, March 08, 2007

Skip


My friend and I went for coffee today. Although the outing did not go quite the way I envisioned it would, it was a good time. I enjoyed the company. I laughed a little. I learned things I did not know before. Our conversation, for the most part, was very light-hearted (which is a bit unusual for us). As always, I was easily distracted and a little too preoccupied by my surroundings.

At one point, two young girls skipped by the window. They were probably around six years old. They wore their school uniforms combined with what appeared to be Camp Fire vests. Both girls seemed content. One of them raised her arms as she ran down the sidewalk as if she were hoping to lift off and fly away to Neverland to be with Peter Pan and his crew. Each of the girls smiled from ear-to-ear. Neither seemed to notice me and my friend staring at them. They seemed to be carefree. It was a beautiful sight to see. It made me smile.

Childhood is an incredible time of one's life marked by innocence, wonder and hope. It is a time when choices are not usually regretted and possibilities seem to be infinite. In many respects, I miss that portion of my life. I am glad to be rid of it too. My friend and I discussed the girls as they came closer. We talked about how, after a certain age, people just do not skip anymore. They do not run down the street with their arms spread out either. These facts make me a little sad. It is too bad that those moments do not occur for most when they are adults. Maybe things should not be that way.

It seems that the ideal balance of the human spirit would be to mix the responsibility that accompanies adulthood with the laughter that encompasses childhood. It seems that making one's mark on the world should be made while still remaining hopeful...

It seems that, even if only once in awhile, a person should remember to hold onto a friend's hand and skip...

2 comments:

The Baby Makes 4 said...

I used to skip while at work with you...until I began to feel way too big for the hallway. I felt as thought I was going to hit the ceiling with my head. Maybe that is why adults don't skip more often? I guess I should take my skipping outside like those girlies...what a brilliant idea!

Anonymous said...

One of my professor always talked about skip therapy. Instead of going for runs in the morning, she would take her dog for skips. She said that you wouldn't be able to have a bad day if you were able to skip. I have applied this to my life and can often be seen skipping down town. But I am a dork.