
Today I received an e-mail with the following excerpt included:
"You know how on your blog you will list things that bother you? I'm sure you do. It is your blog after all. Well, I just wanted to tell you what has been bugging me lately. Since I am being a bitch. The commericials where the tag line is "He went to Jared" I want to punch all those people in the face. Sleep would be really good for me. "
Yes, I do know those commercials. I think they're pretty. Afterall, I like sparkly things. I suppose they are being played too frequently as Valentine's Day approaches. Not everyone enjoys Valentine's Day either.
What is my take on the day you ask? Well, I think that Valentine's Day is another day that probably started off with good intentions, but now has been commercialized so much that is little more than an irritation at this point. I do not really see the point of waiting for a specific day of the year to let someone know that you're thinking of him or her or that you care for him or her. I think if you care for someone, you should let him or her know as the moment inspires. I do not think that one should reserve his or her affections for another to the 14th day of February each year. I think if a "wave" of affection hits you, then you should ride it.
I suppose some could say I am bitter about the "holiday", but the truth is that I am not. I have a husband who would happily oblige me and buy into all of the traditional Valentine's fare if I were that type of girl. The truth is, however, I am not. I expect to be treated well throughout the year -- not just on special occasions. I am not impressed by receiving flowers and chocolates on the 14th. As much as I love sparklies, I do not expect jewelry for Valentine's Day either. Truth be told, I much rather spend some time together at a coffee shop or driving to Pasco to pick up an engine or painting a room. I rather receive a note indicating that he has been thinking of me and cares about what is happening in my life. In reality, I rather receive those things from anyone. At the end of life, material possessions are worthless -- human interactions are not. I remember what people tell me. I treasure experiences and recall specific moments. This is what the essence of life has become for me.
Don't get me wrong. It is not that I do not like the idea of romance. It is not that I do not like to receive little (or big) gifts here or there. I will continue to get excited when I receive the same. The thing is that I desire other things more. I crave human connections. Right now, I am about living. I suppose, in many ways, J gets off a bit easy. I am fine with the fact that he and I both work Wednesday night. I am fine with the fact that we will not exchange gifts.
I am fine that he has not shopped at Jared.
2 comments:
In my defense, I have nothing against the jewerly. It is just that all the people in the commerical sound so pompous. "He went to Jaret (I know that it is Jared but sound sounds Jaret)" I'm just cranky. The dog keeps waking me up at 4:30am.
No defense needed...I get it and love it...I understand the 4:30 thing...you should live with J....
Post a Comment