Earlier this week I mentioned my friend who must make a decision regarding her relationship. This is an update to that situation.
My friend finally realized that she must, in fact, make a change. It took her a long time to see what is crystal clear to the rest of us. You see, it took her awhile to get there, as her thought processes are easily influenced by her emotions. She has a lot to consider now as she addresses the issues in her relationship. She is exhausted by dealing with it all too.
The good news is that over the past few days my friend has thought a lot about what she wants out of a relationship. She wants a companion. She wants someone who respects her. She wants someone to have fun with and with whom she may enjoy life. She is done being belittled, harrassed, and made to feel guilty for having her own needs. Now that she and her significant other have been apart for several days, she sees that she can survive, if not even thrive, without him.
I am pleased to report that as I spoke to this friend this afternoon, she seemed more confident in herself than she had in awhile. She realized that she is okay (albeit a bit lonely) home alone. She can maintain her house quite well independently. She enjoys being able to dictate her schedule without having to check with someone else. It has finally occurred to her that she does have control of her life and can demand a certain level of control in her relationship. My friend's self-respect seems to have increased as well. She believes in herself and sees that she deserves to be both loved and respected.
This weekend my friend and her boyfriend will engage in a summit, of sorts, regarding their relationship. They will discuss their needs and consider whether or not they can make each other happy. If they choose to stay togehter, my friend and her boyfriend will establish new rules for their life together...I suspect the weekend will be turbulent. A lot of emotion willl be involved. The couple will have to face their demons and consider their possibilities.
With that said, however, I think that this weekend will be good for my friend. She seems to be experiencing some personal growth. I know that she will follow her heart and make the right decision. In fact, I am confident about the same....
2 comments:
Again - me? If not, sure could be . . .
No-- not you...but you are both going through some similar stuff. As I said on the phone, seems like there are a lot of people going through this right now...
Post a Comment