Thursday, January 18, 2007

Acetylcholine

Last night I gave a lecture on neurotransmission. In general, it is not a lecture I like to give, as my understanding of neuroscience is quite limited (compared to what it should be) and the topic does not interest me in general. It isn't that I am not intrigued by the effects of various neurotransmitters and such, it is just that I am not particularly fascinated by the specific biological processes involved with the same. Although I am a bit amazed by the body's overall ability to complete such processes, I get a little too overwhelmed by all of the minute details involved to fully appreciate it.

My students were great. They asked excellent questions, which were both appropriate and insightful. They did not critique the drawings of neurons that I placed all over the whiteboard and point out how pathetic they really were. When I requested they repeat the word "acetylcholine" after me, they did so without hesitation. Again, they were all great.

About half way through the class, I gave everyone a ten minute break. The time was to allow them to mingle and to allow me the opportunity to shift gears between neurotransmission and the various structures in the brain. As I gathered everyone back into the room and sought their attention, one of my students inquired as to whether or not she could ask me a question. Of course, I answered in the affirmative.

The student wanted to know about my job. She wanted to hear about the people I work with each day. She wanted to know what type of opportunities are available in my field. She was curious as to where she could gain the most experience in learning about various diagnoses, etc. The discussion that followed her question lasted for quite some time. Students told of people they had come into contact with in the community and their impressions of them.

The great part of the whole thing, for me, was that I could visualize almost every person and identify them to myself as the students described them. I could think of their appearance, etiology, treatment, etc. I was able to provide my students with some insights regarding their observations and to put their minds at ease regarding their safety. We discussed misconceptions. We discussed how terrifying it must be to suffer from certain illnesses. We talked about the importance of treating people with respect and giving them a sense of dignity. We talked about the importance of taking care of those around us and the role of humanity.

I know that most of my students attend my class because it is a prerequisite to another course. I know that they are eager to achieve good grades and acquire an understanding of the materials necessary to help them succeed in their studies. Although my intention is to cover all of the information in the text and that is laid out in the syllabus, the truth is that I do not think it will matter if I do. I think it is more important to discuss the human condition. I think it is a better use of class time to help my students to become more aware. I think, in all honesty, that it is my duty as an instructor to make students question their perceptions of the world and to think about making a difference....

No comments: