Saturday, December 16, 2006

Monstrosity


I am all about tacky things. I have acknowledged it before and will admit it again: I am a bit white trash. I love glitter. I love Christmas lights. I even recently purchased a really special pair of sparkly jeans (although I am not sure that they will actually make an appearance in public). For the most part, I laugh when I see others embrace my own special brand of tackiness. It makes my heart flutter to see my neighborhood covered in lights. My husband never has a difficult time shopping for me-- all he has to do is buy something that is shiny or sparkly. I even used to love pep rallies in high school due to all of the glitter used on the signs.

With all of that said, I have decided that it is, in fact, possible to go too far. Case in point: the inflatable holiday santas, snowmen, etc. that are literally everywhere. I suppose the first time one sees one of these plastic monstrosities, it is a bit interesting. One might think, "Oh, hey-- that is cool" and appreciate the sighting. After awhile, however, enough is enough. Let us pretend for a moment that these giant plastic holiday structures are not completely ugly (which, by the way, they are). We can even pretend that they are okay when they are so large that they take up one's entire lawn and block a view of his or her house. However, in my humble opinion, when every person on given block has one in his or her yard, it is lame. I mean, seriously, how many giant inflatable gosh-only-knows-what things does one need on a street? Furthermore, I take particular issue with those individuals who feel the need to place several giant inflatable structures in their yard. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH already...A guy that lives down the street and around the corner has eight, yes, eight in his yard. I mean, seriously--that is just too much people.

So, there you go-- there is my rant for the day. I say: Celebrate. Decorate your hearts out. Have fun. Be merry. However, please take pity on your fellow neighbors-- set a limit. Demonstrate some restraint. Have a little bit of dignity....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) I am scared that the toys can't breathe inside the giant inflatable snow globes things (yes, I do know that are really alive but...)

2) To me, inflatable decorations are like cats, two is good, three is ok, seven is crazy.

3) I like your sparkly jeans! Wear them with pride Sista

4) I miss you and J. Thank you for having me over.

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to see you in your sparkly jeans! If I were having a bad day, would you let me come over and see them, just to cheer me up? BTW, Z absolutely loves sparkly, shiny things too . . .