Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Tunes

It was brought to my attention that my taste in music is not great. News flash people: I knew that. I almost pride myself by it too. As with the shoes, I blame B for this. She ruined me.

You see, when B and I were in college, she and I made it our business to know every horrible song on every teenie-bopper radio station. We even made a diagram of the "boy bands" and hung it in our living room. We watched "Behind the Music" and every horrible show on MTV and VH1. We rotted our minds with useless facts and random song lyrics. It was a wonderful time.

It seems that I must miss B or something these days, as I continue to perpetuate our old habits of listening to crappy music way too loud. It is true that I occasionally sprinkle my life with a "good" song here or there-- a song that it beautifully written, utilizes classic instruments, and whose lyrics say something about the world. The fact is, however, that I often enjoy listening to horrible music just because it has a beat or lyrics that I think are funny.

My newest game is to inform I each day of the songs I listen to during my commute--(boy, he is going to have a lot of messages when he returns from vacation). Most days, I just flip through various (horrible) stations on the radio. For example, I think today's selections included JT's "I'm Bringin' Sexy Back, Chamillionaire's "Ridin' Dirty", and AC/DC's "You Shook Me All Night Long", amongst others. It was cloudy and rainy. I needed some beats to keep me awake.

I graciously agreed to help me improve my musical tastes. He is exposing me to "new" music (although based on last night's pick, I think I may be better at this than he), suggesting albums for me to listen to, etc. I think the hope is that one day I will not embarrass myself when talking about the music I enjoy. I think another goal is to make me more bearable to those around me.

I hope that I is able to expand my horizons-- maybe even make me a bit more refined. Yet, I know when my girl B comes into town...we'll be back to our old ways and I LOVE that!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay i get the whole thing, no problem. My only question is why, why, why would you ever take down the 'BBD'-the 'Boy Band Diagram'?

R & R said...

It was outdated, of course. :)