
The other day, my friend made an interesting statement to me. She commented on my "gumball perspective" of the world....Her observation caught me off guard and continues to occupy a very distant corner of my mind. Gumball, really? Wouldn't that make me bubbly, excited, and irritatingly positive? My friend explained that from her point-of-view, I seem positive--very positive. I seem like a cheerful person who tends to focus on the good things in the world, sees the positive side of things and keeps a decent attitude.
Of all of the descriptions I can think of for myself, positive (unfortunately) is not one of them. Bubbly doesn't really come to mind either. From my point-of-view, I seem jaded, cranky and a bit a naive. As a matter of fact, my negative perception of the world often troubles me. I wish that I were more positive. I work to smile more. I make an effort to try to think about things from a better frame of mind. I try not to be so tired.
I wonder if my friend is just silly and unobservant. Perhaps she only sees what she wants to see. Or, perhaps I am a great actor and have more people fooled as well. Perhaps I am not as bad as I think. If, however, I am, in fact, more of a negative person than I am positive and my gumball friend knew that, would she still like hanging out with me? Would she reconsider our friendship?
I suppose I am who I am. Although I do aspire to be a better person in life, chances are that at my core things will not change too much. Whether I have a gumball perspective or otherwise, I do think that I am a good person. I think that I care about the world and work to make it a better place. I suppose it does not matter what others' perceptions are of me...however, it nice to think that others enjoy me...
2 comments:
perhaps your friend (she) noticed that even though you might outwardly project some unhappiness with the world and its painful realities maybe your friend sees beyond that and realizes (and sees) that deep down inside you are a positive and luminescent individual who brightens the world by trying to make it a better place.
at least thats the way i see it.
I like that view of me. I am glad that someone sees it in me. I only wish I saw it more often in myself...thank you. Your words mean a lot to me...
Post a Comment